Chapter 22: Home

Evie Frye

Evie never would have thought what a joy it would be to have a little girl in her life. It makes her feel a tinge of sadness in her. She just realised she would never have one of her own. It wouldn't make her leave Sarah, she loves the woman too much to do that. But it will leave a certain hole in her life.

They were on their way back to the orphanage, Jenifer smiling happily in between the two women. Both of her hands are still held by Evie on the left and Sarah on the right. The red-haired girl looks like a completely different girl. A bright smile on her face, eyes shining with joy for the first time since she probably started to live on the street.

"Say, Jenifer, what would you like to become in the future?" Evie asks.

"I don't know. I want to do something that brings an escape to people. To let them experience a world they could only dream of!" Jenifer explains with enthusiasm.

"You want to be a writer?" Sarah suggests.

"Maybe. I can't write or read, though. I guess I can be a painter instead?" The girl says as she contemplates her future. Evie glanced at Sarah who was frowning, her eyes pitying the girl that lives with only limitations. Let alone all the other girls in the orphanage.

"Never let go of your dreams, Jenifer. If we do, we have nothing worth living for. Remember that," Sarah says. Jenifer smiles at Sarah, nodding as she seems to think of another world. A world she would want to share with others through pages filled with words.

"Then I will be a writer!" Jenifer exclaims. Evie chuckles while squeezing the girl's hand. What a sweet girl, she would go far if she just got a push. Optimism seems abundant within the girl. As the orphanage comes into view, they cross the threshold of the building. Jenifer almost immediately became more alert.

It wasn't any special building, your typical building with wallpapers, oil lanterns dotted across the walls and a deep coloured wooden floor. At the very least it feels warm inside, but then again also cold. No children's giggles, voices, or playful sounds echo through the corridors. It was eerie quiet for some reason.

"Is it always this quiet here?" Evie asks Jenifer.

"They don't like it if we make a ruckus. Even if we try to play quietly in our free time, they come barging in and teach us to be quieter. Mainly by either hitting a few children to make an example or by spanking us with a ruler..." Jenifer answers in a hushed tone, careful to not make much noise.

"That is horrible... I should have come sooner," Sarah says as she heard the bells of police carriages from behind them. Soon enough, Abberline came inside with a curious yet unsure expression about being here.

"Lady Scott, Miss Frye, I received your message... Mind telling me why I have been called to an orphanage?" he asked.

"To make a few arrests. Children are being abused, used to gather alms for the headmistress, and I imagine some of them are underfed," Sarah says. Abberline nods softly as he rubs his chin in thought.

"I am afraid it is tough to make such an arrest without the owner. A warrant is..." he starts to say, but Sarah waves his concern away. "I am the owner. It is only now I discovered what horrible things happen within these walls," Sarah says before she crouched down and looks at Jenifer.

"Jenifer, listen carefully, will you go with Mister Abberline and point out the people that hurt you and your friends? Don't be afraid, Abberline will protect you," Sarah calmly explains to the girl. She nods and takes a deep breath. Together, Abberline, Jenifer, and a few policemen went upstairs.

The women stood near the entrance to let the police make the arrest. It is best to stay out of this affair for now. They are normal citizens at the moment. Not Assassin's who could probably murder all six policemen that came with Abberline.