Chapter 23: The Last Play

Evie Frye

A strange sensation, no, a few tremors were felt by Evie as she slowly feels herself waking. The mind slowly began to come alive, and she soon realises that it came from two small feet that were tapping the mattress. A smile soon comes to her lips as she feels Jenifer in between her and Sarah. She pops one eye open to look at the girl in question.

Jenifer was smiling while gazing out a window. Her two small arms were firmly placed over the ones of Evie and a sleeping Sarah. The feet were tapping in a rhythmic pattern while she sits comfortably on the bed.

"Morning, Jen," Evie says softly as she fully opens her eyes to welcome the new day. Jenifer looks at Evie as she turns to engulf her in a hug, arms winding around her neck. "Morning, Evie! I am so happy it wasn't a dream!" Jenifer says with utter happiness.

"Shh, let Sarah sleep-" Evie starts to say before Sarah pulls both Evie and Jenifer into a bear hug. A giggle comes from the girl while Evie grunts a little. "How are my two favourite women doing this morning?" Sarah asked.

"Great! I wasn't dreaming. This is real!" Jenifer says while switching from Evie two Sarah to engulf her in her hug. "Of course it is! It would be a nightmare not to have you here," Sarah says tickling the girls that erupt in laughter.

"What shall we do today?" Jenifer asks excitedly.

"Well, not much that we are able to do, sweetheart. Sarah and I have to work. I am not sure about Olivia, but we are a busy family," Evie explains while Sarah repositions to have her in the middle. Tucked safely and warmly in their arms.

"Really? Can I come with?"

"I am sorry, Jen. It may not be very safe for you. We will try to be home early so we can play all night with you," Evie promises, kissing the forehead of Jenifer.

"We will definitely try. While we're out you can definitely explore the house or walk around the neighbourhood. You're not upset, I hope?"

"I can explore every room?" Jenifer asks, but Evie saw the eyes slightly dimmer a bit in the excitement. Sarah sighs as she sees it. It also probably isn't a good thing to leave Jenifer alone. At least not in the beginning.

"How about this? I will spend the entire day with you, but Evie will, unfortunately, have to work. Does that sound more fun?"

"Thank you, Mum!"

A blinding smile covered Sarah's face as she heard Jenifer. Evie can only describe it as pure joy. It is special to know someone cares enough to let you know that you are a mum. Perhaps a bit fast considering things, but it wasn't exactly normal circumstances either.

"You make me happier by the minute, you little angel," Sarah says, making the girl almost disappear in her hug. "I am glad you think so..." Jenifer manages to peep out.

"I better get going or Sarah will wrap you in her corner. Leaving my high and dry," Evie chuckles with an amused smile. Jenifer manages to successfully turn around and give Evie a hug instead. "I will always love you too, mommy."

"Aw, Jenifer, I should worry more about you wrapping us around your finger. A smile, a few words, and you have us on our knees. Quite the charmer, eh?" Evie says while stroking the girl.

"I mean it though! Honesty!"

"Hmm, just what a charmer would say," Sarah says tickling the girl again. A fit of laughter came from Jenifer again. "Meanie!" Jenifer protests trying to defend herself against the onslaught.

"Yes, mum can be a meanie!" Sarah laughs, "But come we have much to do today. Starting with some shopping for us!"

Evie met the Maharajah near the river Thames close to Westminster. He was sitting on a bench with traditional Indian garbs. A large black coloured cloth decorated with pearls and intricately made metal jewellery. The copper skin man was reading a newspaper seeming to enjoy a slow day.

As Sarah is with Jenifer, probably spending money left and right to buy everything the girl could possibly need. Sometimes she wonders just how wealthy Sarah and Olivia are. At the rate they spend money, they must be swimming in it. Jacob was doing God knows what with Olivia. And Henry was busy chasing music boxes. That left just Evie to meet with the Maharajah.

"Your Highness, a pleasure to meet you. I am Evie Frye," Evie says while giving a polite bow.

"A pleasure to make you acquaintance, Miss Frye. I am Duleep Singh. Henry told me you were looking for the plans for Buckingham Palace. I managed to obtain a copy, but I am afraid someone else has them as well."

"Someone did? Who?" Evie asks with brows etched together on her face. Duleep pulled out a bundle of paper and held them out for Evie to take. "Crawford Starrick. I barely managed to obtain these plans. After I left the record room, only a minute passed before some people came looking for it."

"Worrisome," Evie says as she took the papers with a slight bow, "Thank you, Your Highness. I wish you a wonderful evening." As she just said the word, a few drops of rain started to drop. "But you may wish to find shelter to get out of the rain," Evie says with a smile. Duleep smiles politely giving a bow before he started to walk away.

"And Miss Frye, please tell Henry I wish to rekindle our family bond. It has been some time since I last saw him. A pleasant day to you, Miss Frye," Duleep says before continuing to walk away.

"Well, well, Henry is a prince? Who knew..." Evie mutters amused. She soon made her way back to the Kenway mansion. Very much wanting to see Jenifer and Sarah again.

Evie came home not much later. Her drive to see them urged her forward. If this is what it felt like to have a family, she would have suggested adoption sooner. With haste, she pulled out the key and went inside the building. When she fully got into the hall, she saw Clara looking around, her eyes trying to search every nook and cranny.

"Clara? What are you doing?" Evie asks as she watches Clara sneaking around.

"Shh, hide and seek. I am trying to find Sarah and Jenifer."

"I see, good-"

"Mommy!" Jenifer exclaims as she came running from somewhere behind Clara. "Jen, how was your day till now?" Evie asks as she took the girl in her arms.

"Great! Clara is amazing! And very much like aunt Olivia," Jen says. Clara stood proudly in the middle of the hallway with her hand on her hips. "Of course I am!"

Evie wasn't entirely sure whether that was something to be proud of. At least she will have some... character to her.

"Welcome home darling!" Sarah says from the floor above. It seems she was hiding in a closet and is now coming out of it. "How did it go?"

"I have the plans, but Starrick has them as well. He won't stay still long. We need to move," Evie says without sugarcoating it. Sarah nods as she thought about it. "The feast. Queen Victoria is holding a feast tomorrow evening. Her Majesty invited most of the nobles. Me and Olivia included. Starrick will use it most likely to his advantage," Sarah ponders as she paced in the room.

"What's going on?" Jenifer asks softly as her green eyes worriedly switch between her two godsend guardians.

"Mum and I have to make sure nothing bad happens. We will explain everything soon, okay? Just stay brave," Evie says soothingly while cupping the girl's cheeks, and kissing her forehead. "Okay... Be safe."

"We always are. Clara will look after you, alright?"

"Come, Evie. We need to inform the others. Jen, Clara, hold down the fort till we return alright? When we do, we will celebrate!" Sarah says before exiting the home and finishing their work in London.