Chapter 10: Going For It

Authors Note: the chapter is shorter than usual, but I felt it was the right choice. Anyway, let me know what you think of the story so far and this chapter.

Evie Frye

Evie emerged through a secret exit at the side of a road. Hopefully, Abberline will be able to arrest Thorne when he came to 'confiscate' the building. It would be a shame to lose everything that was present in the vault of Edward. She singled a carriage and soon drove toward the Scott residence.

Jacob was right. Why not give it a go? Evie hardly ever agrees with Jacob, but he is right. They work together well, feelings don't seem to interfere with the mission. Father may have been wrong about it. 'Don't let feelings interfere with the mission', that is what father always preached. Evie thinks she misunderstood his lesson. Don't mix your private life with the Brotherhood. She can do that. At least Evie hopes so.

It has become hard to deny Sarah when she was practically always around her. If not physically, she is mentally present as Evie thinks often about her. It is almost getting so bad that she was dreaming about the woman. If that wasn't a sign, Evie wouldn't know what would be.

"Sir! Please stop for a moment," Evie says and exits the carriage. She saw a market as she was peering out the small window. It wasn't any special market. There were the usual market stalls that sold your typical groceries and household items. What caught Evie's eye when she looked through the carriage window was a woman selling flowers. You can't go wrong with flowers, right?

As she walked through the market, the voice of the woman soon reached her. It was a bit muffled out by the many other people, but it was loud enough to be heard through the sea of people and voices.

"Lilies! Get your lilies here! Capture your sweetheart with an eye-catching bouquet of lilies," the woman announces. From the looks of it, it was a slow day for her. Let's make her day brilliant too, Evie thought.

"One bouquet, Madame," Evie says as she approached her. The woman smiles as she looks Evie over. Somehow Evie gets the feeling she already knows what she is up to. The power of a salesperson, Evie thought.

"Any particular color, Miss?"

"Red, white, and yellow, please"

"I see. The colors of love, purity, and friendship. It must be quite the special person," the woman says as she prepares the flower bouquet.

Evie can only nod with a smile. Sarah most certainly is a special person. From her open and flirtatious personality to her calm and calculating way of working. Evie has to admit, she was almost perfect for her. The only thing she would change is the many flirts coming from her, but then again. If it wasn't for her flirting, she wouldn't be doing this.

"Yes, a very special person. Make it the best bouquet you made in your life, Madame. I will pay you extra since it is an important day for me," Evie says with rosy cheeks. The woman chuckles as she presents the bouquet.

"Make her day special, miss. I am sure she will be happy."

"Pardon me?" Evie asks confused as she traded the flowers with the payment. How does she know it is a woman and not a man? Is she that obvious?

"It is mostly men that come here to buy flowers for their sweetheart. Some women come here to get flowers to give the house some color, but you come here for love. A woman doesn't buy flowers when it comes to confessing, so a woman is your love. I am not wrong, I hope?"

"You're spot on..." Evie says softly. "Not the whole world is against it, Miss. You were not the first that I have met. Just be careful, not everyone is very open to the idea. Now, off you go. Better not make her wait," she says with a kind smile.

"Thank you, Madame..." Evie says softly before trudging back to the carriage and resuming her trip to Sarah.

...

"Okay, you had a successful mission. You have flowers. Nothing went wrong today... you can do this! Don't make a fool of yourself," Evie says to motivate herself as she stood across the street.

Evie crosses the street and rings the bell. She does some last-minute adjustments to her clothing, which luckily didn't get dirty or smells. Although, she made another stop along the way, the driver didn't care as he would be paid extra. The second stop was to get a nice perfume to hide anything that may be foul. She was in a sewer after all, but the storekeeper assured her that she smelled fine.

She takes another deep breath as she held the bouquet in her hands. Patiently, she waits for the door to be opened by Sarah. Although, patience is not very accurate. Evie felt nervous and somehow worried. Why would she be nervous? Sarah already likes her. This should be a walk in the park!

The door opens and the blond stands in the door opening. It seems she removed her usual braid and let the hair fall freely around her face. As she said, she has taken a bath. Evie thinks she didn't have the energy to put in a braid again after all the lifting she did today. As usual, she wears her well-decorated coat, pants, and thigh-high boots. This time she wears a purple coloured coat. The twins must have multiple ones with different colours.

In the hope to surprise Sarah, Evie presents the bouquet to her. "For you, I w-would like for us to be an i-item, Sarah," Evie says with a slight stutter.

Sarah stood very still as she watches Evie. Her eyes blinked for a moment as Sarah's gaze fell on the flowers. She looks very surprised and... uncomfortable? Was this not the right time? Has she changed her mind?

Evie was becoming worried as she stood there awkwardly with the bouquet. Sarah should be happy, right? Why would she feel uncomfortable now? Evie thought she would be jumping in the air from sheer happiness. Couldn't this go easy for once?

"I am Olivia, Evie."

"Oh."