Chapter 9: The Kenway Mansion

Evie Frye

Sarah and Evie drove the cart with the goods obtained by Jacob. Evie has to admit he came through, even if he did destroy the medicinal system in London. Hopefully, Olivia is able to fix his methods. Poor Olivia had a frightful night. The night when Clara fell ill, she has become obsessed with the girl. Even Clara was not a fan of it, but what can you do? Parents are protective of their children. In the case of Clara even more so. That girl gets in a lot of trouble with the pickpocketing empire she runs.

"How is Clara?" Evie asks Sarah. A deep sigh leaves the woman as she massaged her eyes.

"It was a long night. Clara is luckily running around as she used to. It has just been tough for Olivia. You remember when I talked about her marriage?"

"Yes, her husband died in a gang war?"

"As we came home, we started to talk about it. I wanted to know more about it, you know. I am her sister and I hardly knew the man. Well, long story short, it turns out he was killed by the Templars. He was part of the Assassins. It makes sense, it was at that time Olivia urged me to join the Assassins with her. I guess my family history contains only death and tragedy," Sarah explains.

"Sarah, I am touched by your openness. But why are you telling me this? It's very personal. I know we're starting to get along, but I am still an outsider," Evie says. Her eyes flicker to Sarah as said woman was smiling. Sarah shakes her head as she put a hand on Evie.

"Evie. The moment you saved my niece you became my family. I mean it, we are eternally grateful to you. Miss Nightingale told us it was almost too late to save Clara. If we lost her... I fear Olivia would not be alive now. I know she would have taken her own life."

"I... I didn't know," Evie whispered as she stop the cart at the side of the road. Sarah squeezes the shoulder of Evie softly before pulling her into a tight hug. "You're a Godsend, Evie. Thank you for keeping my family alive."

"My pleasure, truly. Shall we take your home back too while we're at it?" she says as she looks to the manor.

The mansion consisted of several floors. Four floors, including the ground floor. From what Evie can see from the outside, it seems parts are not used. The top floor is dark and looks deserted. It was the opposite for the lower floor. Many Blighters and Templars were roaming about. The back, used for deliveries, was the more lightly guarded part. Still, you will not get easily inside without the necessary effort.

"The place is a fortress. I am very certain we can get inside, but the crates will be a different story. Do you remember anything from when you were younger?" Evie asks Sarah.

"Uhm, not really anything that will be useful. I am certain Kenway build some sort of vault in the Mansion but got no clue as to where it could be. We could make the whole 'drug' scene at the back. Makes sense to have it there, no? Maybe we could get some Rooks or children to drive off some of the guards," Sarah proposed.

"That- oh, that's not good. Look," Evie says as she points to an arriving carriage.

The carriage stops directly in front of the Mansion and Lucy Thorne gets off. It seems she got away alive from the attack. From the looks of it, she is here to study some of her documents or other clues? Evie is not entirely sure, but this will make it more difficult.

"It's not the end of the world. She will most likely stick to the study. Come, we may be able to get inside through the back. Only four guards, we can easily take them out," Sarah says.

"Dead bodies will not help us. How do you plan on getting rid of them?"

"We can drive away with the cart after I loaded the bodies on it. I'll focus on the drug scene, you focus on obtaining the information we seek. Divide and conquer, you see?"