Chapter 21: Jenifer White

Sarah Scott

The women walked with Jenifer through the streets. Jenifer looked first tense and still suspicious of both Evie and Sarah. But now, much to Sarah's delight, she seems to be at least at ease. She even skips as they walk a bit. Sarah even lifts the red-haired girl up when a small puddle is on the pavement, making her feel like she is flying.

Every time the girl smiles and giggles with joy. Sarah thinks Jenifer never really had a joyful youth. Eventually, Evie joined in and held the other hand, helping her fly through the air. Making her feel even more special. Sarah has no regrets about not getting any children of her own, but she does love them. She even was very happy when Clara came into the world and saw her as her own daughter even.

"What kind of food do they serve? I know it's expensive," Jenifer asks.

"It serves all kinds of food. If I remember correctly, I think this one has excellent dishes with duck. Do you like duck?" Sarah asks. Evie shakes her head a bit as she watches the two with a smile. Even stroking the girl's hand absentmindedly. Sarah sees it and can't help but feel a warm fuzzy feeling. They are beginning to like the girl.

"Don't know. Never had duck before. The orphanage doesn't serve many different dishes. Mainly fish. I almost thought they wanted us to become fish!" Jenifer answers as her gaze goes to the restaurant.

"Well, at least you'd become a pretty fish!" Evie says, squeezing the girl's hand. Jenifer looks up bouncing with a smile. "You think?" She asks.

"Mhm, I am very sure."

As the trio started coming near the restaurant, they see the well decorated exterior. The inside is equally well decorated and several well-dressed and mannered people are eating and drinking. Several staff members can be seen serving the customers. One can easily see that this place is for the rich and wealthy. There is even a man at the door to prevent any unwelcome people from coming inside.

"Stop right there, girl. This is not for the likes of you," the man says as Jenifer was about to enter.

"Is that so?" Sarah asks the man. He looks up as he scans the other two women. "Oh, Lady Scott. Please go ahead. I wish you a pleasant dinner," the man with a curtsy.

Sarah's lips curl into a small smile, pleased with the man's response. "Good. First, make sure to look at the whole group before making assumptions. And watch your tone, my business does not offend men, women, or children. Stay polite at all times. Understood?"

"Yes, my Lady. My apologies."

"Make sure it doesn't happen again," Sarah says before looking at Evie and Jenifer. "Shall we?"

The trio made their way inside. Jenifer felt very much out of place. Her clothes were clearly not on par with any of the other customers. It was not very clean and it was repaired multiple times. Sarah was not bothered as she kept a reassuring hand on Jenifer's shoulder. Evie meanwhile tries to keep the girl equally in high spirits.

Gazes were sent to the trio as they walk to a more out-of-the-way corner. Sarah saw that they recognised her, but they were not very 'appreciative' of the child. As if the child's presence was an insult to them and the restaurant. Even so, no one dares to say it aloud. Probably because they were not willing to make a scene or insult one of the owners. A very wealthy and influential owner.

"Are you sure I am welcome here?" Jenifer asks as she eyes the other customers. "Yes, Jenifer. I own this fine establishment if you haven't noticed. You are my special guest," Sarah says.

"It is futile to resist, Jenifer. If Sarah wants to spoil you, she will spoil you," Evie says while smiling. Even looking at Sarah with twinkling eyes. The girl looks between the two with a soft smile.