Chapter 24: The Shroud

Sarah Scott

Time grows short for everyone to prepare. Henry was lost in London chasing his vendetta against the cursed music boxes, so that left only the Frye twins and Scott twins. Sarah entered the train with Evie while Olivia prepared their gown and suits. One does not enter the Queen's ball without looking at the part.

"Jacob, come here. News has reached us about Starrick," Evie says through the train. Jacob soon emerged with a sandwich in his hand and a mug of some kind of liquid. Well, Sarah is a bit disappointed in the fact that Olivia has still much work ahead to get Jacob in shape.

"Evie? And...?" Jacob mutters but seems unsure as to which sister it is. With a roll of her eyes Sarah motions for him to follow the map of London.

"Sarah, come Jacob. Our final opponent has made his move. One that he will regret. Starrick will appear at the ball in Buckingham Palace. He plans to eliminate the head of state and church. Seize the Piece of Eden and take control over the British Empire," Sarah starts to explain, turning to the Frye twins holding up two invitation cards. "Lucky for us, the Queen saw it fit to invite me and my sister to the ball. To add to our luck, we can take a plus one. But we can't have any weapons on us."

"I can fix that. Abberline will be able to smuggle it in for us. Besides, he will be motivated to spot this plot because of his sense of duty," Jacob says while putting his lunch on a table.

"Thought as much, Olivia will acquire the clothing. Make sure you are on time, Jacob. It will not be extravagant probably but it will do," Sarah continues, pointing to the Palace of the queen. "Buckingham Palace will be where he strikes. That means he will have his people there too. The only way he will feel secure is by having armed Templars around him. So, the Royal Guard will be compromised. Make sure Abberline knows."

"Will do. By the way, I heard something very touching from Olivia. You saved orphans from oppression and one girl has touched your hearts so deeply that she was adopted," Jacob begins to say with a smile plastered on his face, and a hand on his chest. Evie was about to say or more likely argue with Jacob, but Sarah chimes in first.

"It is your niece, so best not act like this in front of her. Or I will make sure Olivia will grind it in your memory till it haunts you in your dreams."

"Jeez, you sound just like her..." Jacob mumbles as he shifts uncomfortably in his spot.

"Make sure not to upset or hurt my daughter, Jacob. I- she really is a charmer- Anyway, don't do anything you'll regret!" Evie scolds Jacob. The accused held his hands up in surrender as he tries to get away from the two hardened and murderous gazes.

"I will don't worry! I gotta go!" He says and jumps back into the bustling city with his rope launcher. These speedy exits must be a defence mechanism.

"An irritating man, but we best get back to the mansion as well. We need our weapons hidden in our dresses," Sarah states as she walks to the exit with Evie in tow.

"Uhm, how? I have seen the dresses before and hardly any spot could work. It is either inaccessible or too obvious. Sarah smirks a bit as she glances at Evie. "You think this is my first ball? I have done it before and will do so again. At least for the hidden blade, it will work. The rest... will be difficult. But enough to kill a man that lives on borrowed time."

"You look handsome, Jacob dear," Olivia says as she looks him over, a soft smile on her lips. Sarah has to admit, Jacob looks very good in a costume. Which surprised her utterly. He should wear some cleaner and well-made clothing more often. Not the rags he usually wears.

"Thank you, Olivia. You look absolutely stunning, as always," Jacob says while placing a soft kiss on her knuckles. It makes Olivia smile and blushes softly. Sarah is at least impressed by his manners, for now.