Chapter 19: Following Tradition

Evie Frye

Evie stood patiently at the train station. It is time for her to see her brother. He still lives on the train and Henry moved into the former section that was for Evie. It made sense. For Henry, it was safer to be on the train than in his bookshop. And with the backing of the twin sisters, he will not have to worry about losing it. A deep is taken as she watched the train stop. She mentally gives herself encouragement and steps on board.

The first section she saw was the kitchen section. It was a bit messier than when she last was here, but she wasn't surprised. Jacob can be very messy, but it isn't as bad as she thought it would be. The other side contained the sleeping quarters of Jacob, but it was clear he wasn't there.

"Evie?" Jacob says as he yawns with a mug of what she thinks is coffee. He peaks out from where he sat at a table that was hidden behind a wall. Evie takes another breath and walks into the kitchen area.

"Hey Jacob, how's it going?" Evie says as she slips to the opposite side of the table. A shrug comes from Jacob as he curiously looks Evie over.

"Fine, fine, but there's something off about you... Something new... You look happier than I have ever seen you. Even when compared to the times you talked about the lala items," he says while rubbing his chin. Jacob's looking with narrowed eyes at Evie.

"Nothing's off, but I do have something to tell you. About an important step in my life," Evie continues. A nodding Jacob begins the smile.

"It's s about Sarah, right? She wants you to be... family?" He says, "I may be not as perceptive on things as you, but you started living with them. Every time I spot you, you look happy. This is not hard to assume. Even for me," he says while drinking from his cup.

"True, even you could figure that out," Evie says with a soft smile followed by a deep exhale, "We're going to marry."

Jacob chokes on his coffee as he coughs for a moment. "Marry?" He asks for clarification, his voice a bit strained. Evie nods with a growing smile.

"Yes. And I want to take her name. To really begin a new chapter in my life. You understand, right?"

"The marriage being a, ahem, pfoe, a new chapter, yeah. But the name... you lost me there," he says while still coughing a bit.

"Really? You understand the difficult part but not the easy one? Jacob Frye, you never cease to amaze me. I want to be a Scott because I feel it is the right thing. A feeling, a sensation that tells me that it is the way it should be. I can't describe it any better," Evie tries to explain.

"I still don't get it. But it's up to you! I am just very happy that you are moving on. That's more important than the name. I am with you all the way, sister," Jacob says while he leans forward, putting a supportive hand on Evie's shoulder. "Make her happy and you feel happy with her. Okay?"

"Thanks, Jacob. I am glad you're here, really. So, ahem, how's it going with Olivia? Spark flying between you two as well?" Jacob leans back in his chair again as he scratches the back of his head.

"Well, she is making a better man out of me that's for sure. Olivia is one tough lady, Evie. By god, I don't think I am wearing the pants here," he says softly. Evie burst out laughing as she sees a flustered and put in his place, Jacob. Never did she think she could see him being so humble.

"Hey! Give me some support, Evie! I- I care for her, alright! I want to do good by her," Jacob defends himself. Evie nods as he dries her eyes. "Jacob... all I can say is that you're doing excellently. Keep going and you will be fine. Just a hunch, but I think Olivia is happy with you too, Jacob."