Chapter 20: Clara's Request

Sarah Scott

Sarah sits in one of the reading rooms drinking some tea. An interesting book in her hands and a nice cup of tea. It is a good way to spend a typical dreary rainy London day. She turns a page and picks up her cup again to take a sip. A small smile creeps up her lips when she hears carefully placed footsteps, but not careful enough.

They are easily recognisable as small feet. Sarah can tell that Clara tries her best to sneak up on her. However, she still has a lot to learn. At least she has an excellent teacher named Evie Frye.

"Care for a cup, Clara dear?"

"Aw, man! Again? What was it this time? My reflection in a tiny mirror? My breathing?" Clara asks annoyed. Sarah laughs as she turns to Clara that now walks normally towards her. She tried all day to sneak up on Sarah but never succeeded. Evie tried to point out how she should improve, but Clara mostly needs more experience and a few more helpful lessons.

"No, I heard your steps. You have to be careful about how to place your feet. The heels make a sound you don't want. Try to keep it in mind," Sarah says. Clara sits annoyed next to Sarah on the sofa. Sarah kisses the girl on her forehead as she smiles.

"I'll get you one of these days..." Clara says with determination.

"Until that day, I will help you," Evie says suddenly as she sat on the comfortable chair across from Sarah and Clara. Both snapped their heads from surprise. They did not hear her enter or even sit down.

"Jeez, nearly gave me a heart attack," Sarah mutters. Clara nods in agreement as she took a calming breath.

"I need to practice more..." Clara mumbles irritated. Sarah smiles at the little girl. How very much like Olivia. A perfectionist and not able to tolerate that someone is better than her. Although, Clara is worse at times.

"You are well on your way, Clara. Just keep at it and you'll get there," Evie says in a supportive manner.

"Still, why do this? Sarah knows I am coming! It's an unfair advantage! If I need to... end someone, they won't know I am coming!" Clara protests. The lips of Evie make way for an amused smile while a chuckle leaves her. As she lets out a breath she leans towards Clara.

"My father did the same with me. If you can surprise someone that knows you're coming, you can surprise anyone. Do you know how long it took me to surprise my father?"

Clara shakes her head as she tries not to be interested, but fails badly at it. Her curious nature wins over being stubborn about losing.

"A year. It took me a year. You only started a few days ago, keep at it and you'll be as good as me," Evie says, leaning over to pat the girl on the shoulder.

"I suppose..." Clara says with a sigh, "I have some errands to run. You know, with my friends. By the way, what happened with my request? Did you manage?" Clara asks Sarah.

"Request?" Evie asks curiously as she watched them. Sarah nods with a smile. "Indeed, the request you hand-delivered to me and Olivia on the day we met. The letter, remember? I thought you would have taken a peek, it wasn't even sealed."

"I have some manners! And I wasn't suspicious of Clara, she is adorable-" Evie retorts before railing herself in again. She glances at Clara to see her reaction. It was pure amusement as Clara wanted to laugh, but also very happy.

"I take that as a compliment. You are cute, Evie, just as Sarah constantly says. Well, did you manage, Sarah?"

"I did. I was planning on visiting tomorrow. They will have settled in by then and I can see whether things go as I was hoping," Sarah says.