Chapter 3: The Search Begins

Evie Frye

Evie patiently waits in Henry's shop for Jacob. Her mind is occupied by the two Ladies. Their operation bears investigation. It is too suspicious. A sigh leaves her yet again as she wants to get this gang business over with.

"Something the matter, Miss Frye?" Henry asks as he puts the delivery of the Scotts together. Evie nods as she stands back up.

"It does not make sense how Sarah and Olivia are so able to ward off Starrick. The Templars have been in control for decades and they are having trouble with ousting two women? It eludes me as to how they could achieve it," Evie says while pacing in the room. Henry chuckles as he watches her pace around the room.

"After we have freed Whitechapel, I am sure you can get to the bottom of this, Miss Frye. There is a fire lit in your eyes that tells me you will get the answers you seek. Be patient. All good things come with time," he says.

"Patience seems to be something Kaylock no longer has, he challenged us for control over Whitechapel. Freeing the children, taking out his henchmen, and locking up his associate has made him desperate," Jacob announces with pride.

"Good. Where will the dispute be settled?" Evie asks.

"At the train station of Whitechapel. He will bring his lads while I bring the Rooks! He even bet his train on this fight!"

"Excellent. That train will be useful," Evie points out. Henry nods with a knowing smile. "Very sharp of you, Miss Frye. That train will serve as our headquarters. It moves around the city, making it hard for Starrick to locate us. We will be able to operate without him breathing down on us," Henry adds.

"My exact thoughts! Jacob, you may not have a brain, but luck is certainly something you have," Evie says and pats him on his shoulder.

"Is that an insult or a compliment?" Jacob asks as he follows Evie. Henry hurriedly followed the twins as he quickly grabs something from behind the counter.

"Both. Come, Jacob, let's get this done."

A small area was created close to the train station for the coming fight. It was marked by barrels, buildings, and the train. The Rook and Blighters were already present. Both parties were arming themselves and pumping themselves up for the fight. Evie looks with a frown around the crowd. There is no sign of Rexford Kaylock. He is missing. The crowd only contains a few onlookers. Some children, a few men making bets, and a group of women. All of them are looking towards the gathering of gang members. Evie turns to Henry who was perched next to her on the roof.

"There's no sign of him," Evie points out.

"Yes. I suspect he will show himself only after the fight. He is large and intimidating, but he is not the confrontational type," Henry says in turn. Evie rubs her chin in thought.

"He must be close or he would lose face. Not the crowd, not the train station as that would make him look like a coward... I see. He is on the train that stands just next to where they're fighting," Evie concludes and turns to Henry. "Go to Jacob and give him one of the Kukri knives. He will be thrilled. I will make sure this Kaylock isn't going anywhere."

"Very well, Miss Frye. You have a sharp mind, just like your father. Be careful," he says and stealthily climbs down to get to Jacob. Evie waited on the roof before she moved out herself. It always helps to act while a distraction takes place. What better distraction is there than two groups going at each other?

Jacob discreetly tips his head as a signal to Evie who jumps from the building into a haystack. As the sounds of a fight start to fill the space, she started to make her way to the train. Men and women alike were shouting. Some while they were fighting, others to encourage both parties to give it their all. Probably because they have money on the outcome of the fight.