Chapter 25: Epilogue

Evie Frye

A few birds were making their music as Evie woke up from a long and deep sleep. Nestled in her side was Sarah with her arms firmly attached to Evie. It makes her adorable. Every morning for the past year, she has woken up to the same scene. Sarah snuggled in her side, one of her breasts as her pillow, and a soft smile on her lips. Love never dulls, when you have found the one. That's something she truly found out over the year.

"Mum, mommy?" Jenifer quietly says through the door that slowly creaks open, "I have breakfast!"

"Evie, it was a stroke of genius to adopt her," Sarah mumbles as she pressed herself further into the warm and soft body of Evie.

"Come on in, sweetheart," Evie says with a chuckle as her fingers go through the hair of Sarah.

"It is a special day! So, I tried making what you love the most!" Jenifer says as she approached them with breakfast.

"Oh, Jen, you didn't have to. And why is this day so special?" Sarah asked as she sat up in bed, making sure she at least covers her body. Although, at this point, everyone in this mentally challenging household has seen her naked already. At least the baby of Jacob will not remember it, for now.

"You remember a deal you made two years ago. To the exact detail. But what you did do on this day?"

"Sweetheart, I am just waking up. And my brain wants to let you know that it is very grumpy in the morning," Sarah answers, looking at Jenifer from the comfort of Evie's lap.

"Your brain talks?" Jenifer asks curiously.

"Don't listen to her nonsense, love. What makes this day special?" Evie chimes in as she let two pressed finger glide over the mouth of Sarah. As if to zip it closed. Sarah smiles in response.

"The day you brought me into your home. I hoped to make it a day to show my appreciation," Jenifer says as she put the breakfast, "Thank you, Evie, Sarah."

Jenifer's arms wind around them both, a bit awkward considering the position of Sarah it did stem the heartfelt warmth she was trying to convey.

"Jen, we are happy to have you," Evie says winding an arm around the girl to bring her in her embrace even more. "Evie is right, little charmer of us. You made our life brighter just by being here. Now, how did the reading go last night?"

"Great! I read an entire chapter in an hour!" Jenifer says with pride. "And you know what the words mean, right?" Evie asked with a lopsided smile.

"I promised to ask what the words meant first. Aunt Olivia asked me if we could watch James today. They have to be somewhere important? Clara was having a test, but they didn't say what about."

"Right, that's today. Good luck, Clara!" Sarah screams to the lower levels of the house.

"Just watch James, you lazy sister!" Olivia yells back.

"Jeez, I feel the love..." Sarah mumbles, "Well, we can play all day then! Lucky you, Jenifer."

"Why do I get the feeling I am being kept in the dark? So many times you and everyone here had to go away suddenly. And you won't say why..." Jenifer says softly as she looks at Evie and Jenifer. Her eyes were a bit pleading and asking to let her in.

"Jenifer, dear, we are not trying to keep you out. We wanted to wait. If we said everything from the start, we would pull you into things you may not wish to be part of," Evie says calmly, squeezing the girl's shoulder.

"We asked you before and you said no. Do you think you're ready to face the darker side of our world? To see and understand that not everything is as it seems. To know that you must join an eternal battle between two sides? Understand this, Jenifer. Once you know, you won't just understand what we do, you will be burned with a sense to join it," Sarah starts with all seriousness. Her gaze locked with Jenifer as she held both shoulders with a gentle hand.

"We only wish you the best. I can make sure you won't be affected by any of it, but then you must stay out of it. You will live a life of relative peace. What is it you want, Jenifer? We won't be angry if you say no or yes. We only care about what you want."

Jenifer looked between the gazes of Evie and Sarah both held no glimpse as to what either wanted from her. Hard and neutral to make sure Jenifer decides and thinks for herself. Jenifer takes a deep breath as she slowly nods.

"I understand, well not really, but I want to understand. I want to help." Evie and Sarah share a look before turning to Jenifer with a soft smile.

"Let's first enjoy this lovely breakfast you made. We will explain afterward, sound good?" Evie says as she takes the tray and puts it on her lap.

It does not take long before Evie and Sarah walked with Jenifer to the 'war room' or now dubbed as 'Assassin's HQ'. Jenifer noticed pretty quickly where they were going as it was the only room she was never allowed in. And attempted to get in multiple times, but never succeeded. She was always caught by one of the members of the Council.

"The answers are in there? I am finally going inside?" Jenifer asked.

"Yes, sweety. And this is important. What you will see and hear will need to be kept a secret. No one outside of our Order may ever know what's inside. What information is exchanged inside? Do you promise?" Sarah asks the redhead.

"I promise."

Sarah and Evie stopped in front of the door before they crouched down. Each shoulder is either the hand of Evie or Sarah. Both women looked with utter seriousness at Jenifer.

"We mean it, Jenifer. Information that is held inside could cause a lot of suffering for a lot of people if it is heard by the wrong people. Understand?"

Jenifer nods rigidly as she looks increasingly unsure whether she wanted to know what is inside. Even so, Evie can see the green eyes glinting with determination to hold true to what she had said. It brings pride and admiration to her daughter. She may not have been birthed by her or Sarah, but they feel just as strong as any other mother.

"Good. We will teach you and make you understand, Jenifer. To learn the skills to defend not only yourself but humanity as a whole. We are guardians that protect the freedom of everyone. It is a hard life, Jenifer. One that will test you year after year. No one will hear your name. No songs or tales will be spun among the people.

For we work in the dark, to serve the light.

We are Assassins."