Chapter 12: Capturing The Mind

Evie Frye

Evie thought she knew how skilled Sarah was, but bloody hell, she has fine control over the carriage. London was always busy with the many carriages that were driving through the streets. Let alone the innumerable people that were walking on the sides of the streets. Evie was by no means bad at guiding the horses through the streets, but Sarah... It was as if she was swimming through calm water.

The chase was fierce as Evie pursues Sarah and the man controlling her. Sarah practically snakes her way through the traffic. It was hard for Evie to keep up. One mistake and she will lose the carriage. Fear gripped her heart as she thought of the option. Losing Sarah to such a man would be the last thing she wanted. As the traffic became heavier, it was becoming more and more difficult to stay close.

Sarah glanced behind her as she took stock of where Evie was. She took a sharp turn to the left as she ducked into a street. Evie mentally cursed as she couldn't follow. Incoming traffic blocked her way. The man escaped with Sarah. An angry Evie stopped the carriage at the side of the road. The two horses were exhausted from the chase. They were breathing heavily with some foam leaving their mouths once they stood still. Sarah outmatched her. It was as simple as that.

Evie took a deep breath, aimed her rope launcher at the roof, and launched herself into the air. If she doesn't want to lose Sarah, she needs to know where they're going. A high vantage point will do the trick. Once on the roof, she scans the direction in which Sarah raced off to. The winding streets of London sprawled out in front of her. Evening rush is in full swing, people walking and taking the carriage home.

It is hard to spot anything specific in this sea of traffic. But with a sharp eye, a bit of desperation, and good motivation, someone could spot the one thing they want. Evie has all things swirling in her at this moment. Three streets down to where she was perched she saw a fast-pacing carriage. The driver looked suspiciously like Sarah. Evie has nothing better to pursue and so went for it.

Through the use of her rope launcher and skill full free-climbing, she managed to keep up. Evie is grateful to have the robe launcher which made climbing easier and faster. The distance was not closed by much as Sarah kept a steady pace, but being on the roof and being silent by nature hardly gave her away.

For minutes, she followed the carriage. It was clear she was following Sarah. Even from a distance, she recognised the distinctive shape of Sarah. Evie could spot the beautiful woman anywhere. One could find it a stalker skill, but for Evie, it served to reinforce she made the right choice. She cares for the woman.

The carriage eventually stopped close to National Gallery and St. Martin-in-the-field church. Evie observed from the rooftops while making sure to be in the shadows. Sarah would probably have been ordered to keep an eye out. The man stepped out. His face was agitated and contained irritation. Sarah obediently followed like a slave into a house.

It was an average multi-storied housing complex. Not super wealthy, but definitely well made and not cheap. Even if the complex held multiple houses. That may be, but this man most likely obtained it through nefarious means. Evie was wondering how this man could control people so well. She knew of hypnosis and what it could do to people. This however seems far more powerful. One could almost see it as similar to what Ezio wrote down about the Apple.

The Apple could control whole crowds of people at a moment's notice. It would force them to act as the wielder of the Apple commands. Would he had wished, the would even commit suicide. This seems like a lesser version. An item that could force a single person to do as the wielder commands. Most likely through some kind of gesture or sound. Could this be a Templar?

Sarah closes the door of the house they have entered leaving Evie only to observe the outside of the building. As far as she could see no mercenary guards, Templars, or Blighters were stationed at the house. At least from what Evie could see from the outside. Evie dropped to the street level as she kept a watchful eye on the house.