Chapter 16: A New Foundation

Evie Frye

Books were all scattered on the table as Evie and Sarah scoured them. The large study in the Kenway mansion is used to scour the many books of Henry and the Scott twins. Most of it came from the Scott's but even Henry's contribution has been valuable. Each was reading different tomes to see what the key unlocks. A deep sigh leaves Sarah as she throws another book on the table while a hand massages her eyes. It seems she read another book that held no answers.

Meanwhile, Evie was engrossed in the books. The books Sarah and Olivia collected were a treasure trove of information. It held details of Pieces of Eden held by Ezio, Altaïr, and some other Assassins from the past. There were even accounts written down of objects that could have been precursor artefacts. Evie could read for days without getting bored.

"I don't know about you, but I am nearing the end of what I can read," Sarah says with a sigh.

"Sarah! Did you know some objects could even transfer your mind to a dream space? Incredible!" Evie says as she goes through the pages. Her eyes hardly stay still as she tries to read faster and absorb more information.

"Amazing..." Sarah drooled out. Her tone was bored and tired. It has been some hours. Well only two, but Evie guessed it is a lot for someone such as Sarah. For her, this is a day of relaxation.

"You alright?" Evie asks while she kept reading, her fingers turning the page. Her lips are forming a smile as she sees the key. 'This is it!' Evie thought.

"I am now that I see you smiling. Please tell me you found it. I can't take much more of these books! What is it with these writers? They write books that are so boring! At least write it down excitingly," Sarah complains while sinking further into the comfy chair.

"I did! This drawing looks exactly like the key," Evie says and showed her the drawing of a rectangular design. Over the metal were two to three straight lines that went over the metal. The drawing does not show it, but it can softly glow at times. Probably some kind of energy mechanism. Sarah scoots closer and overlooks at the page which causes another deep sigh.

"Of course. The damn thing it unlocks is located in London Tower. It resembles one of the queen's boxes. Lucy must have gone there. It always is one of the most secure places, isn't it?" Sarah says.

"I suppose it is more secure. Important and powerful artefacts are stored away in secure and difficult-to-reach places. Well, shall we?"

"Yes. Let's," Sarah says and rises from her chair with a grunt. She stretches her back and arms as she stands. As she looks at Evie who starting to turn her attention to her, she starts to smile with glee.

"What?" Evie asks as she chuckles. Sarah responded with arms going around her waist and her head snuggling into her the crook of her neck.

"After this little infiltration, I am taking you out for dinner. The best in town. And you can't say no," Sarah says, placing a soft fleeting kiss on Evie's neck.

Warmth. A fluttery and pleasant warmth travels through Evie. This will never get old, Evie thought. She doesn't want it to at least. From each kiss or affectionate touch, she wants to feel the warmth, the butterflies of happiness. It makes her feel that she finally came home from some cold place.

"Sounds perfect!" Evie squeaks out.

"Good. The quicker we get the damn thing, the quicker we can enjoy each other. To that end, I have a gift that will hopefully help. You will love it."

Evie smiles as she winds her arms around the woman. This woman has a heart of gold. How does she not have people lining in the street to take her hand? It makes Evie wonder why she took an interest in her in the first place. Surely there are prettier women around. Let alone people that have more experience or an idea of romance.