Not So Scary

"I will always take care of you," he said as he studied my wet-with-tears face, my heavy bridal makeup melting and streaking down my face.

I looked at him, attempting to smile through my tears and failing. "I'm sorry."

"Don't be. I know this is difficult for you, and you miss your family. Leaving your family and your home is not easy. Committing your life to living with someone you don't know is difficult. But if there's one thing i can promise you tonight, it's that i'll always try my best to take care of you, even if sometimes i'll fail. I know i can never replace your family or your father's protective love, but i'll always try my best to protect you, even if i've to protect you from myself. Most of all, i'll try my best to be the man you deserve. I promise."

I looked at him through my long falsies, overwhelmed and unable to form words. I opened my mouth to say something, but my brain was having a hard time coming up with something to say. This man had made me speechless after the very first sentence i'd ever said to him. I think i might be falling in love.

"Don't worry." He smiled at me, and that look alone warmed my insides and put me at ease. "Here." He extended one hand to me, and i put mine in his.

Gently, he squeezed my hand, as if i were a doll made of the thinnest glass in the world and he was scared the slightest pressure would break me.

Then he dug into his sherwani's side pocket with his other hand and brought forth a small velvety box. Skillfully, he flipped it open with that same one hand and extracted the small beautiful ring.

"It's beautiful," i thought aloud, my eyes full of wonder.

Carefully, he inserted it into my ring finger. It fit perfectly. "It's so beautiful," i repeated.

"You're welcome."

I blushed and amended, "Thankyou."

"Thankyou for coming into my life, Shiza. I know it has to be scary, but you've left your comforting home behind on my trust alone, and i will never disappoint you. At least i'll try my best."

"I trust you."

"I'm so thankful for this trust, but i'll earn it too."

"I think it ought not to be so scary after all."

•°•°•°•°•°•

this must be cheesy but you're allowed to cringe. i just had to let this out for my own sanity.