Impossible Union

I took a deep breath, like a long-held sigh of relief after a particularly long and exhausting day.

“Who would've thought?” i whispered.

“I did,” he replied.

I looked up at him with a quizzical look to find him looking into my eyes.

“Yes. I did.”

“But...”

“Katana...” My heart skipped a beat. “Love, you might not have thought so. You might have lost hope along the way. I understand that wholeheartedly. But i never did. Not for a second. Sometimes, i'd feel like i was holding out hope for the both of us. It wasn't a sure feeling, of course, but i felt it. And look! Here we are. Today, we're together. I don't know what i did to deserve you or be here, with you, today, but i know my love for you has defied all odds and it will continue to fight against all odds.”

By the time he finished speaking, my face was wet with tears and he wiped them away with his fingertips. I caught his hand in mine and gently brought it to my lips, planting a feather-light kiss on the back of his hand.

“I was so scared,” i got out between hiccups, my eyes shutting closed, my mind floating away into the terrible memory.

He caught my shaking hands in his, anchoring me to the here-and-now. “I know,” he whispered. “But not anymore.” He hugged me then. And i let my cheek press to his chest, i let myself lean in, and i let myself feel this new feeling.

“What did i do to deserve you?” i murmured into his chest, feeling the steady beat of his heart against my cheek. “All i had was a broken heart and an ever more damaged hope. I didn't have your faith, not even close.”

He stroked the back of my head. “But you did have a heart. And a beautiful one at that. You know, that's the one thing i love most about you. And to think that you find it difficult to believe that you deserve me.” He scoffed. “Katana, it's you who deserves the whole entire world and everything good in it. Can't you see?” He hugged me tighter, which made the sincerity of his emotions that much palpable.

At that moment i began full-on sobbing, slowly drifting into soft laughter.

Because i'd never felt that kind of happiness before, one that tingled my heart and made me warm from head to toe. It was funny, because i still didn't know what it was he thought so beautiful about my heart.

“You're beautiful, Katana. I'm not exaggerating when i say i've never met someone with a heart as beautiful as yours. And i say that because i know it. As much as i know you, it's enough to know that. You're such an open book, anyone can read you. Only an idiot wouldn't know.”

“I wish i could stay like this forever, wish time stops.”

“You have so much to look forward to. We have so much to experience together. So you'll have to compromise on that.”

That made me giggle. “More than happy to give up anything for a life with the world's best husband.”

That made him laugh.

°•°•°•°•°•

if you've been in love and lost all hope, i hope this brings some kind of peace to your restless-in-love heart. as it brought some weird kind of escape for me.