Stars

"Who's your bestfriend?"

"The moon."

"Wow."

"What about you? Who's your bestfriend?"

"The stars."

"Well... I love stars, too. I mean, they're my bestfriend, too. But moon is the best-est one."

"Well, yeah. I mean same is the case with me. I love the moon, too, but the stars hold this special place in my heart."

"Understandable."

"Why do you love the moon so much?"

"I have my reasons: I just love the way it shines the brightest among the stars. Like, stars are infinite. They're literally infinite, and i love it. But the moon shines the most beautiful and brightest and whitest. Crazy, i know, but i compare it with self-love. What about you? Why do you love the stars so much?"

"Umm, well, i have reasons, too. I'll explain it."

He stares at the naked sky, trying to put his love for the stars into words. It is one of those nights where the moon is faded--that one darkest of black nights. My bestfriend, the moon, is clearly not there.

He starts, "Look, the stars are infinite. I know it's not unknown to you, but really. I mean they're so infinite, and you don't know how far they go.

"You don't know how huge the globe is, but the stars do. Also, it's one of those nights when the moon would leave you alone. But stars never do. They never fade away. They're always there, with you and for you. Always available. Why i love the stars so much is because they don't owe you anything; instead, you owe everything to them."

"Uh..."

"Also, you see, they get their spark from within themselves. The moon shines because it owes it to the sun to shine. The stars don't owe anything to anyone. God, just how much i love the stars; it's never enough to put it into words."

The spark in his eyes when he talks about the stars is so remarkable. It's like he's talking about the love of his life.

My heart.

I stare at him in awe. God, do i love him.

I was almost teary-eyed when he separated his gaze from the sky and connected it to my face.

"I'm so sorry...," he said.

"I didn't realize i wasn't alone," he said.

"I didn't realize i was making you upset," he said.

It hurt.

Honestly.

I don't know why, but it did.

A little bit.

I didn't say anything.

"I'm sorry...," he repeated.

Now i couldn't hold it in anymore. I started crying for real.

He didn't realize that i loved him so much so that i couldn't even bear him losing himself into the wonderful sight of the night sky.

I wanted him to just see me in that moment.

For those few moments.

To just notice me.