Tragedies of a Fairytale--Part II

Nahla was weirded out.

Everything is crystal clear, he had said. What did he mean? Was he upset with her? Did it hurt him what she confessed about her unwanted feelings creeping up to her heart? Or worse, was he mad at her?

Worry had started forming in her belly, and she tried to shake it away, though in vain. She tried to stay calm and focus on her posture, on her breath, on whispering silent prayers. Please make it all fine. Please don't test me again. Please let me be happy for once.

As she was pacing in the confines of her room, she heard the ping of a notification on her phone. It was from Shabbeer.

Nahla, i know you don't know this, but i'd really, really tried to convince my parents four years back. But i couldn't. Even if i could have, i still wouldn't know if your family would've been convinced.

Nahla was baffled. He had tried to convince his parents for the marriage? Does this mean he liked her, too? But why was he texting her now? It wasn't like any of it mattered anymore. He's supposed to be a married man, isn't he?

Nahla felt a pang of hurt in her heart. It was all she knew to be true, which meant she couldn't do anything about it. He was married now.

Or was he?

I got your number from Irsa. She's a good human, it wasn't her fault in any of this. I somehow contacted her, but anyway, i'm texting you to tell you i never got married. Yes, it's true that i had gotten engaged, but i never got married. The nikkah was due the previous month, but to everyone's surprise, Tooba, the girl, backed out at the exact time of vows. I don't know why, i don't know the background story.

Nahla tried to process those words, but it just didn't seem to sink in and settle very well with her.

I just want to say, if my parents come to your home this time, or if you've heard anything about it, please don't reject them instantly. Please tell your dad to investigate and do everything that a girl's father always has the right to, but please don't hold grudges this time. Please try to tell them it was all a misunderstanding. Tell them we never had any contacts outside of university. Please request them not to misunderstand things. Please at least try?

I like you, Nahla.

Nahla felt... Well, she wasn't able to figure out what she felt. She was being told that the guy she had always liked, liked her back all this while. It was just weird.

She also thought about the fact that he was actually considering to marry someone else if it weren't for the girl's rejection at the very main moment. The wedding was set. It had almost happened.

Maybe you don't believe it, maybe it's hard for you to believe it, i can understand if so. I understand i would've been married by now if it weren't for Tooba's rejection. But i also know this: if it weren't for Allah's will, the wedding wouldn't have been canceled at the time of nikkah. Maybe it's all fate. I am certain, though. It's you all along. It's you, Nahla.

I can only request you, please don't misunderstand me. Please don't let it slip out of my hands this time. Please welcome my parents in your home. Please try to.

She typed, I've already tried as much as possible for me.

She contemplated sending it for a while, and finally ended up hitting 'send' in the end. Enough reassurance in that text for him, she thought.

Weirdly, she felt hopeful again. It felt like everything would be fine.

***

"Nahla!" Umar called out.

"Yes, Dad," she replied from her room and ran towards his.

"Sit down here." 

She obeyed.

With a serious look on his face, he started, "So, Nahla. Do you want to marry Shabbeer?"

She just looked down at her fiddling hands--a nervous habit.

"Nahla, don't be scared. I trust every word you said the other day. I know it was sister Bushra who created the misunderstandings between the two families. I just want to ask you that if Shabbeer's parents are to ask for your hand this time, do you want me to accept it?" He smiled at her.

"Baba..."

"Don't be scared, love. I'll respect your choice." 

She just nodded.

"I'm proud of you, you know that?"

She smiled up at him. "I know."

***

A lot of times fathers aren't expressive. They don't tell you they love you. They don't tell you their happiness is in your smile. They don't tell you they're struggling out there to make sure you're well-nourished. They won't tell you any of that, but they'll always silently do what they think is the best for you.

He loves you. Your father loves you. Even if he's not with you.

----------

Thankyou, GirlzSparkle.