To My Soulmate

I was so happy about marrying you that i never realized what married life was going to be like. Of course every girl has to leave her parents' home at some point but i didn't have time to think about it--think about having to leave them and my bachelor life behind--until that day came.

You lived on the other side of the country, which made it even harder for me.

I hugged my father, he hugged me back tightly. We held each other for a few moments, then he kissed my forehead as i let go. I hugged my mother for a little less, then my sisters one by one. I held them both with so much affection, i didn't want to let go.

As i stepped through the door, the yard seemed to bring a lot of memories back. I always loved that yard. Staring at the sky in the daylight, laying down there in the nights, and just staring at nowhere. Sometimes thinking about my future husband. For years.

As i reached the first step towards down the staircase, it again flashed back. I used to sit there, crying when i felt alone. Sometimes my little cousin came sat there. Once she wiped my tears off with her little hands when she found me crying. She was hardly two-year-old back then. I love her. I'll miss her.

To my soulmate,

I loved you since forever, but the thought of leaving my life behind was not easy to deal with.

You squeezed my hand in yours. You held it tighter. If i'm being honest, i'd not say it made everything easy. It made it easier, yes, but it still didn't go away.

As i had to step down, that's when i released i was wearing this very heavy red long flowing skirt (lehnga). I like to picture myself looking very attractive in red--red dress, jewelry, and makeup.

I still remember i didn't want to pierce my nose. I insisted on wearing a fake nose ring.

You held my royal lehnga, helping me get downstairs safely. I finally had to step outside the main gate. My heart squeezed, but again, you made it easier by squeezing my hand.

I love you.

You looked at me and gave me that reassuring smile--trust me that's what my heart whispered, i love you.

I fell in love.

It was so much easier at that moment. My heart felt less squeezed. I wanted to ask you, does love do this?

As we got in the car, i was still a bit sad, a bit crying. I rested my head back in an attempt to make myself feel at rest after all the tiredness, as your brother turned the engine on.

We drove off. I had no courage to look backward at the main gate, so i just kept my eyes closed.

I remember you were so hesitant. I could feel your nervousness. No, i wasn't, at all, watching you. I just know. I knew you long before.

Soulmate, i want to let you know that i love the feeling of your hand upon mine.

I wanted you to hold my hand again. I waited. I kept my eyes closed but i remained focused. I peeked a little here and there and just saw a glimpse of that nervous look on your face. I smiled and faked a serious look immediately before i could get caught.

Soulmate, you're so cute!

You finally slipped your hand in mine and i was the one to squeeze your hand this time. The car was suddenly hit by a bump on the road, and my heart nearly jumped out of my chest. I thanked God in my heart.

After we were finally back to rest, i put my head back again and closed my eyes. I didn't realize i was falling asleep until i woke up over your shoulder.

I don't know why i felt what i felt then. I realized i was so lucky in that moment. I just felt you were going to be an amazing husband and a great person. And i was yours, finally and for life. Your wife. The thought gave me goosebumps. I am yours for eternity, i wish to reunite with you in Jannah.

***

Reply from soulmate --

You, my wife, are so beautiful.

When you fell asleep that day, i saw you getting unconscious. Your body was restless, you were not in a comfortable position, your head would have hurt. I slowly, shyly tried to slip your head on my shoulder and you automatically rested peacefully there.

I just stared at you. I couldn't even look away from your beautiful, and most importantly, innocent face.

You know, you looked so innocent resting on my shoulder, you looked so innocent when you cried, you looked so innocent when you were shyly wrapping your hand around mine. You were innocent when you stared in the direction of your yard, you were innocent when you cried in the arms of your father like a child, you were so innocent when i saw the love in your eyes for your siblings, when you looked up at your mother and you couldn't help but cry because she's the biggest part of your life, you were innocent when you were afraid, when you squeezed my hand in awe, when you were sleeping. You're so innocent, love.

I'm so lucky to have you.

Another beautiful thing about you is that you look exactly like a doll. Fragile, weak, beautiful, plastic, innocent, everything a doll could be with a beating heart. And the most important part of you is your heart. The heart that has so much love. I couldn't imagine how much you would love me when you love strangers so much and care about them with all you have.

I have this doll, she's mine!

I felt so proud of having this wonderful girl resting on my shoulder, so near me. I wonder how i got so lucky.

I know you need fragile care, i promise to take care of you with all i have, forever, i decided. I know life has never been easy, and you've been through so much, i promise, for as long as i live, i'd always make sure you feel happy.

You stirred in your sleep, so cute. That strand of your hair left the veil on your head and flew freely over your face. I just saw how cute you looked. I wondered, how can someone look so plastic? I brushed your hair away from bothering you in your sleep.

***

Little did we both ever know we'd be so lucky.