24 - Introductory lunch

I stared at the email preview which had popped up on my screen a couple of hours ago.

It was from Seoul University.

My breath hitched as Alice sat next to me, putting a hand on my shoulder reassuringly.

- Have you clicked on it yet? - Jisung asked impatiently from my phone.

- No. I'm waiting for my dad, he said he's gonna be here soon. - Just as I finished that sentence, the door swung open, revealing my father, still dressed in his fancy work clothes.

My mom went to greet him, immediately dragging him by my side.

- Remember: either way, we all know that you have done your best and we are still proud of you, Angèle. - My mother spoke as she patted my head, my father nodding in approval.

It felt nice to have them all around me. The four of them were all I needed.

I took a deep breath before clicking on the email.

We all held in our breath as we silently read the content.

- What does it say?! - Jisung spoke impatiently from the other side of the line.

- I... - My eyes became watery. - I got in. - I started profusely crying, both my parents and Alice hugging me tightly as Jisung shouted happily.

- I can't believe it! I knew you would have made it! - He was laughing and crying from happiness.

That day was the best I had had in months.

We spent lunch together: my parents, Alice and I sitting at a table, with my computer placed on one side of it, connected to Jisung through a video call.

It was the day I had formally decided to introduce him to my parents, and he was incredibly nervous about that. I couldn't blame him, though.

It was the most embarrassing lunch of my life, my parents throwing question after question to my poor boyfriend, who just awkwardly sat there while munching on some food as well.

- So what do you do? Do you study? - My father asked. I gulped, fearing they wouldn't have liked the answer.

After all, they were those same people who didn't want me to go to the Stray Kids' concert, those same people who regarded classical music as the only "real" music.

I held in my breath as Jisung spoke.

- I produce music and dance. - He smiled nervously from the other side, waiting for my parents' reaction.

- We like musicians! What instrument do you play? - My father asked smiling.

I wanted to bury myself under the table. Jisung nervously laughed, scratching the back of his head.

- Oh, I play the guitar. - He smiled shyly.

- Nice! What kind of music do you compose? - I almost choked on my food.

- I... uhm... rap. - He said bluntly, avoiding looking at the camera. - I am part of a group called Stray Kids. - He fidgeted with his fingers, the silence killing both of us.

- Are you the group that Angèle had asked us to go see in Paris? - My mom furrowed her eyebrows.

My face went pale, my mouth dropping. How the fuck did she remember?

- Y-Yeah. - His breath hitched. I wanted to die, the situation as a whole was incredibly embarrassing.

- I see... - She went back to eating, shrugging it off. - Is it fun? - She smiled at him.