Let's Just Talk - Part 2

From the comments, it seems as though you enjoyed the angst! FANTASTIC! Then you'll be ready for more!

I own nothing but the plot

—————————————————————————————

The atmosphere was heavy. No one said a word as the three brothers gauged each other's strength and willingness to follow through.

"What were you about to say?" Luffy's voice was low but his anger was present in every syllable

"You shouldn't pick a fight with me right now Luffy, I'm not in the mood" Ace growled back with the same level of intensity

"Both of you need to cool off!" Sabo barked

"I don't get what's going on but I won't let you finish that sentence!" Luffy ignored them both "You have no right to say that! Not to (Y/n)!"

Ace's blinding anger faltered like a cloud beginning to fade. Slowly the realization of the words that had hastily left his lips - during his heated bitterness - were suddenly coming back to him. These same words that he was able to spew so easily were now getting caught in the back of his throat. Choking him. This wasn't what he wanted.

*Tap*

Everyone froze as your trembling hands rested on Luffy and Ace.

"Don't fight each other..." you pleaded "Not like this ... Not in our home"

All eyes in the room fell on you.

"BUT (Y/N)-!" Luffy protested

"Nothing he said was wrong Luffy" you smiled sadly "I don't have a family... I don't belong anywhere... I know that..."

Although your palms were shaking your grip on Ace and Luffy was firm. It took everything in you to swallow the pain of his words. You couldn't let them know how much it truly hurt. You didn't want to admit to yourself how much they genuinely hurt.

'I don't belong anywhere'

"... I've always been strung along... I know that family was never something intended for me to have because I always become too much of a burden to keep around!"

"(Y/-!"

"I don't even have a last name!" You cut him off "Isn't that proof enough? I'm sorry, I don't understand the responsibilities of belonging somewhere or having a family... It's a grey area for someone as lost as me"

*Drip* *Drip* *Drop*

Confessing it out loud burned more than the sting of your tears running down your face and hitting the floor.

"Nevertheless! I know for a fact that you three are brothers! You have to look after each other! No matter the reason! You shouldn't turn on each other... you need to look after each other..."

The silence after your rant was filled with your sniffles and the crackle of the fire. It was uncomfortable. Not because you were crying, but because they were the reason you were crying. In all their experience, you were the comfort they could rely on, but they hadn't been the same for you. And what was worse? Even now, through your pain and tears, you were still trying to fix them first. It was sickening.

"What are we to you (Y/n)?"

Whether it was the strained voice or your sobbing, you couldn't tell at first who'd proposed the question. They weren't family. But the answer felt obvious to you. Despite that, your words failed you.

"You're...to me you're..." you fumbled. "I don't-!"

Ace felt his heart seize in his chest. You weren't saying anything? Why weren't you say anything? Was he the only one feeling happy in the moments you spent together, or had he pushed you away with his brash words?