40 ~ The Truth about Sultan

1k votes fast for next update!!!

Ruhani POV

"Tomorrow is the death anniversary of my father and it is better we do not see each other tomorrow,"

I lowered my gaze to his words and it felt like a dagger pierced through my chest. Not because he asked me to not see him but because it reminded me of all my deeds. 

I nodded without protest as he placed his index finger below my chin. Slowly making me look into his eyes he spoke.

"It is not because of you, Ruhani. It is just I do not wish you to see the vulnerable side of mine, which I believe will hurt you," 

I shook my head slowly saying I would not leave him alone to suffer. It was not good, not for his mental and emotional health. It had been a long since he was punishing himself for the thing he did not even do.

I was the culprit, I needed punishment. I had to make up for him. 

He smiled weakly and muttered.

"I need to go for the training now. I will meet you at night,"

He kissed my forehead and stood up to leave.

"Thank you for the sweet dish. Loved it,"

I smiled back at the flirtatious tone behind his words.

I sat there when he left and turned my focus back to my task. I needed those financial records at any cost and Sultan just told me how to get them.

I stood up to walk to the desk. I penned down an authoritative letter to the Finance minister and just as he said stamped that under his name.

Asking an attendee to take it to the minister. I waited for Nagina and Shaheen.

"Begum,"

Nagina said arriving there first and I waited until Shaheen joined too.

I looked at Shaheen and signaled.

'I want you and your friends to talk to the maids personally and hear what they have to say about serving the Sultanate. The reason why there is immense partiality and what is the role of Rabia in all these'

Shaheen translated it for Nagina and who thinned her eyebrows and stated.

"Princess Rabia is handling all the matters for the last six years. Badi begum, I mean Sultan's Ammi left all the responsibility on her the day she decided to marry her to the Sultan,"

My eyebrows furrowed with the knowledge that she was not new and random to the Sultanate but a guest who never leaves.

I looked at Shaheen and questioned.

'She does not leave for her own Sultanate?'

Shaheen translated it to Nagina and she answered.

"Ever since, Princess Rabia's mother passed, her father sent her here. At first, they all believed that she will marry Sultan but when Sultan denied her completely and told them that he was already committed to you. Her father fought with her and asked her to marry someone else. But, she still believes that one day Sultan will marry her,"

I listened carefully to what Nagina told and I could have chuckled at the fact that she still believed that Sultan would marry her but it kind of shook me to the core that she was not ready to accept that Sultan was not her's. 

And, at that point, there could only be two possibilities for its explanation. Either she was too surrounded by the thought of marrying him or she had a plan to marry him.