Just Look Away

The bell rings signifying the start of class. Students fill their seats as they wait for the teacher to boot up the board and begin the lesson. Everyone eyes the door for the familiar face to come running in past the tardy bell. The routine became clock work after the first two weeks had past. Mia sat on her chair backwards to face me as I hurriedly scribbled down answers onto my biology homework.

"I guess that homework was important enough to keep you awake this morning." Mia laughed as my face scrunched up at her words. Usually I spend my morning taking a power nap to catch up on the sleep I lost when waking up at around four to get ready for school. Though this time I had to sacrifice this time to the biology homework I had forgotten about doing last night.

"Ha ha, so funny," I muttered as my pencil continued to dance. "I just fell asleep on my desk last night and didn't get the chance to finish it." I rub my cheek as the feeling of the phantom lines of drool still haunting me. Mia just laughed again as she turned her head to rest on her arms, fixing her gaze towards the door. Her eyes were soft and full of want as she continued to stare at the door.

"I'm not like you, you have something that keeps you awake every morning." I smile to myself knowing why she stares so intensely at the door.

"Yeah...that's why you should start drinking coffee," Mia comments back as she looks back at me. "I know a really good place to grab some, it's a little out of the way but worth it," Mia sits up again to dig out the half way empty plastic cup from her bag. The name of the cafe was printed on it with black lettering. Misty Palm Cafe was printed around the front along with different leaf and floral patterns. "It's near the west boarder of Providence, on Mulberry Avenue."

'That's sort of far to my house.' I think to myself as I wonder if I should even try to walk that after school. And thinking back to the coffee my parents brew in the morning it tastes so bitter and stale, why do people like it so much?

"I don't know it's a bit..far from my home, I don't think I can make it over there in the morning." Or afford to buy over priced coffee every day.

"Well, if you want we can stop by after school. We can take my car and drive over, then I can drop you off to your house." Mia said with a smile, still not aware of my status as a scholarship student. The last thing I want is for Mia to find out about my situation, not really knowing if they would change their treatment towards me is worrisome. If she stops being nice to me that would one be out of character and two bothersome because she is one of my only friends here at the school. But if she pities me and brings so much attention to it I might not be able to handle that, I don't need pity.

"No that's alright, I want to stay after for the club fair today and see if there is anything interesting." I politely declined right before the door creaked open. Andrew stood at the door and carefully sat himself in his seat as the teacher finally begins his lesson. Mia spins around in her seat signifying the end of the conversation.

I hurriedly finish up the homework and stuff it back into the bag before Mr. Hendricks starts his lesson. I pull out my note book for class and hurriedly copy down the notes that Mr. Hendricks started writing.

"Remember to carry your number over or else you'll end up with something far from the answer." Mr Hendricks states as his electric pen clicks against the board. This...is real boring. I'm already struggling to keep my eyes open, now how am I supposed to stay awake with this monotone speaking guy talking about math? My eyes drift from the board to my paper periodically, taking in the sight of chicken scratch. Looking up again my eyes start to move towards the window next to the teachers desk. Today the blinds were open allowing the sight of grey clouds to show. It was supposed to rain all day, luckily I have my umbrella with me.

A knock at the door snaps me out of my sleepy trance as everyone looks towards the door. The teacher goes to open it revealing a tall, tanned boy with deep black hair and charming red eyes, behind him was a security guard. At the sight of him most turned to face the other direction to not met his gaze as the security guard spoke.

"Is this the class you're supposed to be?" The guard looked around as he nudged the boy in. The boys uniform was sort of disheveled and looked as though it had mud stains on it. His leather shoes were scuffed and dragged on the floor, the teacher eyes him mindfully.

Mr. Hendricks looked less than amused at the sight of the boy but rested his hand on the boys shoulder confidently. "Yes, he is a student of mine." The security guard huffed in mild annoyance as he tossed a school bag off his shoulder and into the boys arms. "He's been roaming around, I suggest you keep an eye on this one." With that the security guard left leaving the boy to eye the classroom. His gaze meets mine as I was caught staring. The rich red shines like rubies and were filled with annoyance. Anxiously my eyes dart away.

"Take a seat, Mr. Dulce. I'll be talking to you after class." Mr. Hendricks eyes the boy who was dragging his feet against the floor, looking for a seat to plop down in. He was forced to sit in front of the class in the end as he realized there was no free seating in the back. He grumbled to himself as he tested his head against the desk. Mr. Hendricks only cleared his throat and continued on with the lesson.

Again the drowning sounds of Mr. Hendricks voice flowed in through on ear and out the other. I tried my hardest to focus on the board but my eyes started to wander to the window. It was now raining. The sweet sound of a metallic drums seems to echo through the window as the rain hit against the metallic appliances outside. The greenery was lush and lively as the wind caused the plants to dance happily. I was almost jealous of them and the carefree air they had.

My eyes drifted back to the paper on my desk, which was more than illegible at this point. The board was now covered in strange symbols that seemed to be of a different language and it was hard to follow were we were now. 'Great, now I'm lost.' In defeat I give up in trying to understand what the board said and just copied the notes down. That's when the warm feeling brushes my cheeks causing me to look towards the window. There greeted me the sight of the dancing rain and nothing more. I rub the back of my neck and breath out heavily through my nose. The lack of sleep must be getting to me. Again I scribble down notes as the slide changes over.

I prompted up my head against my hand and held it up by my elbow against the desk. I was getting sleepy again. My eyes became heavy as they continued to dart back and forth from the board to paper. It was tedious and boring but the warm feeling cam back again, now against my face and neck. Again I glanced in the direction of the window, seeing nothing over there but the rain. As my eyes trail back to the paper through I catch a red eye looking at me. As the boy rested his head against his arms his head was turned to face me, covering the half of his face resting against his arms. As I noticed him staring I shifted uncomfortably in my seat. My eyes dart back and forth between the board, paper and him. The boys eye seemed to noticed me catching him but he doesn't look away, instead he continued to stare.

In a mixture of flustered confusion I just decide to look away and keep my eyes glued to the paper. The boy continued to bore holes through me during the rest of class which was uncomfortable to say the least.

Jarah Pov:

That girl over there was staring at me as soon as I walked in the class. She was kind of cute for she kind of resembled a bunny with her skittish nature. Seeing as all the seats were filled except for the one next to Tenny. I came here to this class cause I knew he would have my back, the shitty part is now I have to report here every morning. If it weren't for that slimy little rat I would have been fine, but no he had to start a fight and bring his shitty friends. Fuck, now I really wish Maneki was here. Her soft milky golden fur. Her bright cherry colored nose and toe beans. Maneki always seemed to calm me down after annoying bugs got in my nerves.

Before I could realize it I was staring in the direction of the girl. I mean her hair did look soft I guess that's nice, but why would Ethan's potential client want her? That type of thing was always hard to understand, love. It was stupid, why would you love someone? It seemed more like a weakness than a strength. That's when I blink to see the girl looking in my direction. Her eyes stared deeply through my person and into my soul. She was....staring for a long time.

'What does bitch want? If you want to stare then let's go!' Jarah started to stare intensely at the girl who finally met his eye properly. She was sheepish now, well it her fault anyway. 'You think I'm gonna stop because you are looking away now? No! It's your turn to feel uncomfortable!'