Bruises Against the Ego

Ethan finished his small bag of spicy chips as I munched away at my own snack I had gotten from the machine. Ethan had insisted on paying for my snack despite my slight protest against it, but it didn't last long against the offer for free food. The hallway soon became muddled with noise again as students started to pile up outside the cafeteria right before the fair started. I sunk into myself at the sight of the large crowd, not really wanting to stick around with how lively the fair was going to be.

Ethan and I went out separate ways as he still had to help with the preparations. I took this opportunity to look around for Ronnie. Before the whole ID card situation I was waiting for him. I sighed out loud, wanting nothing else but to take a nap. Walking around in circles wasn't fun and I was definitely getting no where in my search for Ronnie.

"Y/N?"

'Until right now apparently.'

I happily turned around to find Ronnie, whom, had his arm extended out in effort to tap my shoulder. I adjusted my bag against myself, while flashing Ronnie a smile. "Hey there!" I greeted him as I take notice of his frown across his face. His eyes where mostly covered by his bangs, having only one semi-exposed for me to see. "I was looking for you, you wouldn't believe the jerk-" I started to trail off as I noticed Ronnie fidgeting with his blazer. It hung loosely over him and seemed to be scuffed up. That's when I noticed a hidden bruise under his sleeve as he continued to fidget with his blazer. "Are you okay? What happened?" I asked as I pointed to his bruise. Ronnie flinched before adjusting his sleeve to cover his arm properly again.

"I-I'm fine!" Ronnie smiled shyly and looked to the ground. He clearly wasn't fine. "I-I have been walking around to find you for a while as well. You did wait for me, right?" He asked as he looked back at me expectantly.

'He isn't fine.'

"I was waiting by the doors, but then I found someones ID card," I kept my eyes on Ronnie's arm as worry still flooded my mind. Don't tell me he's being bullied or something. "But seriously, how did you get this? Are you okay?" I hesitated a little as I gently tugged at his hand, wanting to see if the bruising was any worse than what I saw. Ronnie's warm fingers closed around my hand. His hand was only a little larger than mine, having short chewed away nails and rough calluses.

"Oh, are you worried about this?" Ronnie rolled up his sleeve and showed me a bruise that ran up his forearm. "I noticed it started to form during English but I didn't think much of it." He brushed it off, even though the bruising seemed fresher than a measly few hours.

"Did you really get this from falling earlier today?" I wasn't going to let this go. An aching inside my heart formed from the worst memory I have, telling me that I can not back off this time. I gave Ronnie a serious look, waiting for him to tell a better lie.

"W-Well..." Ronnie stammered, squeezing my hand out of nerves as I continued to question him.

"I-I got it when I ran into a...wall." He stammered, not looking me in the eye.

Ronnie was...a terrible lier. I was starting to get a bit agitated, remembering how my brother Nate use to be. 'Im not letting that happen again.'

"If you're just gonna lie I guess I have no choice." My hold on his hand tightened as I pulled him behind me. I am going to find out what he is hiding. I couldn't stop the irrational anger I felt through me. It wasn't something I feel often, but when I did it was hard for me to control.

"W-What!? W-Where a-are we going y/n?" Ronnie panicked as I dragged him along. For a while I didn't respond as I darted through the crowd. The challenge was keeping my agitation to myself.