Safe House

The steam from the drink in my hands tickled my nose in an uncomfortable way. My shirt was now a clean spare that Ethan found in the lost and found apparently. It had been late in the night when the police showed up at the cafe. They already dispatched a team to investigate the carnage in my home while a police officer sat and talked to me about the events that took place. I hadn't told them about the murders that took place right infront of me, after all I'm not snitching on a person who saved me.

Now all that was left for the night was where I was going to stay, at first I considered calling Louis. Though Ethan cut in with an offer before I could decide for myself.

"My house isn't too far from here, she can stay the night there." I ended up agreeing with that arrangement and made plans to head to the station tomorrow. All these events seemed to pass by swiftly as the cold air added no relief to my over taxed mind.

Ethan made a call and had someone pick us up and drive us to his house. Despite the late night Ethan insisted it wasn't a problem, for the driver that is. Apparently the driver 'owed' him though I was only more reluctant when I saw who the driver was. A black sedan with tinted windows rolled up to the doors and waited for us to open the door. Ethan went to sit in the passengers side while a pissed off looking Jarah said nothing and drove off. Lights passed by in flickers as we all sat in silence.

A lot has happened in such a short amount of time, I mean, my dad literally died a few hours ago. My head felt heavy under all of the events that happened. And what about mom? She is over seas still....I have no one now. I've never felt so alone as that thought sunk in my head. Before it was about my brother running away while mom started to take more demanding workloads to forget about Nate's suicide. I always had dad through it all though. Even if he was...a lot to handle, he was still there. We usually did something together over the weekend and he was proud of me for going to a fancy school through a scholarship.

The car eventually stopped at what seemed to be a rundown shack in the hills. Bits and pieces of it were eaten away by time while glass windows remained chipped but barred. The old paint looked like it was going to disintegrate at the slightest touch while the door sat worn and abused. The home sat behind a large gate that had concrete walls with barbed defenses at the ready laying on top. The car squeezed through the gate but just barely before it stopped on top of the dead grass.

"Don't worry," Ethan laughed lightly. "It's better on the inside than the outside." He pulled out his key and walked to the side of the house where a door sat. It was a heavy metal door without any windows nearby. And I could help but take notice of the buzzing yellow light that was over the door. Ethan and I were not alone in our walk to the side door as Jarah had shut off the car once the gate was closed behind us.

Ethan pushed open the side door that lead into a void. There were no windows around to let in any light and not nearby light switch to assist. Ethan instead guided me through the space and towards what I assumed were a set stairs. The floor was hard as stone while a chilled musty smell filled the air. Once we reached the steps it only took a pace before Ethan stopped to fiddle with his keys again. This time Ethan had opened a wooden door where on the other side the illuminated sight of a retro kitchen sat before us. A window sat above the sink allowing the pale moon to show the cracked but clean tile flooring while the counters remained clear. A small table was near were we entered while an old fridge sat in the opposite corner. An entryway sat by the fridge which seemed to lead into the living room. We continued out March through the house, through the living room and through a small hallway where the front door and stairs sat eerily quiet. Up the stairs where two bedrooms and a single bathroom. We went to the room on the left of the stairs.

Inside Ethan reached for a shelf and grabbed a flashlight, flicking it on and allowing the small room the be illuminated. There was only a mattress on the floor with a nice grey comforter and soft looking pillows. On the floor piles of random clothes thrown about could be seen thrown about. A barred window sat on the far wall while a closet was across the mattress. The worn carpet was rough under my feet. Ethan, in a flush of embarrassment, quickly tried to clean his mess of dirty laundry.

"S-Sorry! I forgotten about these- let me get them out of your way." Ethan shuffled about throwing shirt and pants over his shoulder before accidentally sending a pair of boxers towards my shoulder. He cursed under his breath and quickly snatched it from the ground where it had fallen before tossing everything into the closet. "Out of sight out of mind!" He breathed heartily before turning back to me.

Slowly he guided me to the mattress, lifted up the comforter and tucked me into his orange sheets. I laughed at his awkward and tender gestures all the while, slowly letting any sense of dread wash away. He was warm and sweet and if I wasn't already heart set on dating Ronnie I would have probably fell head first into a flustered mess.

"Thank you Ethan," I smiled widely as he gave me a soft smile back. He sat at the right side of the mattress and was leaning against his arm. "For... everything really.."

"Well," Ethan turned away and had his back facing me while he continued to clear his throat. "I guess yah owe me now."

"I guess I do." My eyes didn't really carry me off to sleep, I simply laid there quietly while Ethan stayed in the room. We didn't talk to one another but the silence was enough to carry conversations between us. But I failed to notice the small whisper beneath his breath that carried itself quietly.

"But really, don't thank me yet."