Special To Me

The sky was now setting itself up for the late afternoon weather as the club ended around 3:23pm. The wind blew a cool afternoon breeze as brown autumn leaves crumpled themselves to the ground. Cars rolled out of the parking lot one by one as people left with friends, family, or in their own car after the club let out. You and Ronnie were the only ones left on the steps of the school, sitting on the cool concrete and enjoying each others company.

"That was a lot of fun!" You cheered as the two of you ate the banana bread you baked today. It was still warm from the oven yet was very soft and moist, almost melting on your tongue. Your cheerful demeanor however quickly turned almost to a somber tone as you thought about Friday and how your father has been acting. But no matter how sad you were a tender kindling was keeping your body warm and happy. It was quiet for a moment as the two of you stared at one another deeply, never breaking your genuine warm smile. The sweetness you felt however made it hard to look at him without longing causing you to look away shamefully.

"I want to actually thank you for today..." You started you throat almost instantly becoming dry. "I...lately I've been having some...personal stuff keeping me down.." your eyes trailed the outline of the trees in the distance as you tried not to cry. This is how you usually ended up when trying to be vulnerable for once, a crying mess. "It's been really, really hard on me lately and... I want to say spending time with you today actually made me forget for a while. Made me feel better." You could feel the tears prickled your vision as your voice started to sound choked up. "So thank you Ronnie. Thank you so much for making my day a bit brighter." You gave him a closed eyed smile full of earnest, trying your best not to cry. You could feel your cheeks and nose burn a bright red as your ugly cry threatened to spill at any given moment.

Ronnie was quiet for a moment and allowed the silence to grow. Your heart began to pound wildly in your chest as you were scared to open your eyes now, afraid that your tears would escape you and that Ronnie would look at you with an uncomfortable smile. But you didn't have to worry anymore as you felt his warm hand rub up and down your arm before feeling him shift closer to you, eventually slowly pulling you into a hug. Your eyes open suddenly in shock as you were pushed into his collar bone but the moment your hands came up to push him away you hesitated before gently grabbing onto his shirt. Tears escaped you as you wondered to yourself on how a hug could feel so tender.

You've been hugged many times in comfort, from your parents and friends but you always held an uneasy knot in your stomach when doing so. Those hugs usually came after arguing with your parents, breaking down and crying before they would pull you into a hug. Usually you felt the need to push them away as your whole body felt revolted by the action as your brained screamed about how unnatural and disingenuous it was. With your friends it was slightly different, you still didn't like to hug them when you cried to them with a fuggly face and would have rathered them not to hug you but to rub circles onto your back or patting your head in comfort. Yet despite your usual self you found that you were melting in Ronnie's embrace finding the longer he held you softly the more walls you felt breaking down. You felt stupid.

'Why....was he different?'

You closed your eyes and cried into his shoulder, rubbing your head into his embrace. His hands busied themselves by tracing small shapes on your back; circles, hearts, and triangles. His warm breath tickled the top of your head as his only hovered over yours. Your thighs touched one another as you deepened the hug and cried a bit more. It felt like years had past before you reluctantly pulled away from him, feeling embarrassed by the blotted patterns of tears and snot you left behind.

"O-Oh... I-I'm so sorry Ronnie! I-I didn't mean- j-jeez I made a mess." You wiped at your face with the back of your hand, feeling gross without a tissue to clean yourself. Your eyes flicked around nervously, trying to figure out a way to un-cry-into-his-shoulder. He gave you a warm smile as you pulled away, taking off his blazer that seemed to make you worry to much.

"It's fine, you don't need to apologize," His words were soothing to my ears but the panic didn't go away fully. "Do you...feel better now?" With a nod of my head Ronnie began to relax himself before looking over me again. "That's good." The silence between us was light as the wind carried with it the sweet sound of autumn. The cool breeze froze my face due to the tear streaks staining my cheeks. A few more minutes passed as I calmed my breathing down and allowed my beating heart to settle. Ronnie didn't look at me but I knew he was still there and waited for me to calm down.

"y/n..." Ronnie whispered softly, not quite ready to turn his head. "Even if you don't want to tell me about what you're going through, I'll always be there for you." My heart beated against my chest rapidly as I felt sweet inside.