Can't Handle The Heat

The rhythmic tapping of a pencil against the desk echoed about in the room as everyone was silently reading their assigned literature for the day. The room was dim and many had lost focus on the task at hand due to the lack luster book infront of them. Many hid their phones in the book or between their crotch as an escape from their responsibility and to engage in some brain numbing simulation only a phone can give. A handful of students had dozed off and barely anyone sparred them a glance. The sub sat behind the teachers desk and scrolled through their phone without a care about the students they were supposed to be supervising.

You haven't been focused at all enough to care about what the words on the page were infront of you as you found yourself staring at the same page for five minutes. Your mind wondered to the approaching date and worry crossed your brows. Two days till the day, the event, the incident. You dreaded the gaping hole in your chest as you continued to be swallowed by its anxiety.

Will you go to school on Friday? You didn't know if you could, whether it be because your father wouldn't let you or be because you physically couldn't put up with it that day. Stress was eating away at you as you continued to get lost in thought. Your pen tapped lightly on the surface below and you barely made a flinch when it slipped from your hand and onto the floor. Your nails were nawed and raw as you continued to chew and you barely heard the hushed whisper next to you. A hum was all you could muster in response, not having enough focus to understand what the whisper was saying. It was a moment of so before you felt a light nudge against your shoulder. At first you didn't feel it, it was so slight and gentle. That was until the nudge became more noticable as it shook one side of your body and grabbed your attention with the sudden interruption of your spiral.

Tao met your eyes as his hand remained resting on your shoulder. Your pen found itself on the desk again as the boy settled it down with his free hand. The tapping that echoed in the classroom became softer and slower in pace as you held eye contact with Tao. As you looked into his lavender hues you noticed something strange, he looked worried. Normally not much emotion passed his eyes or any other body language as he usually sat like a toy soldier, yet in this moment he actually reacted to.. something. You didn't know what but whatever it was it caught the both of you off guard.

'Snap.' The tapping pencil snapped in half as you two started to talk.

"What?" You whispered as his hand slowly slipped from your shoulder.

"You dropped your pen," He whispered back, pointing to the stupid thing that was now on the desk. "I picked it up because it seemed like you were... preoccupied."

Wow this is new. This probably the longest he's ever talked to you let alone express any emotion...what's the catch? You couldn't help but wonder before shaking that thought off.

'Yeah...it's not going to rain cats and dogs. It's more likely he was replaced by a lizard person.'

Whatever the change was ended too quickly as he just turned back to focus on his own work like he wasn't talking to you a moment prior. Weird....well it's a nice change, even if it was for a moment. It definitely kept you distracted long enough to forget about that day, even if it was only for five seconds.

_________________________

"Y/N!" Ronnie shouted from down the hall. His body tumbled out of the classroom as he tried to maintain balance with the amount of books he was carrying in his bag. "Are you ready?" His smile was wide and giddy, like a kid on Christmas.

Part of you felt terrible all of the sudden. "Ready for what?" You watched as Ronnie's face fell into sorrow at your words, making you instantly regret saying anything.

"Culinary is today... don't you remember? I-I thought you would have remembered-but, I mean, it's fine really!" Ronnie put his hands up defensively.

Shit, now you felt terrible.