comfort and tears

"Kiko-"

"Don't," she cuts Daryl off.

"You're falling behind," Jesus tells them.

"Where the hell did you even come from? Fucking beam out of the sky on the final dinner for your- whatever I didn't read the bible," Sakiko gives up, "How did you get there? Did you come with Carl?"

"Mr. 'Show Me First'?" Jesus scoffs, "In a sense, yes."

"What's that mean?"

"Sasha sent me. Turns out Carl had the same idea. He was already in the truck when I got there."

"You came from Hilltop, then? Is my son there?"

"A lot more than just him. But, yes, Nanami is there. And he's fine."

Sakiko exhales in relief.

"Nanami, Hershel, Maggie, Sasha, and Glenn are there."

"Glenn made it back?"

"Just the other day. That's why Sasha sent me. We kinda thought they killed you both."

"No matter how hard I pushed or how mad I made him.. Nothing," Sakiko tries to figure that out.

"How far is it til the Hilltop?" Daryl wonders.

"Another two hours, maybe? Sorry, I hitched a ride and didn't bring my own."

"It's fine," Sakiko assures, "You know the way there, at least. That's more than I got going on."

"Easy for you. You've been eating good," Daryl lightly teases.

"I haven't ate in three days," Sakiko scoffs.

"What? Why the hell not?"

Sakiko shrugs, now hating she even mentioned it.

"Kiko, why you ain't eating? Did they not let you?"

"No.. I just.. Any food I worked to earn, I sent your way. Plus, Sherry helped me out on some points."

Daryl didn't know what to say.

"You ain't have to do that."

"And keep letting you eat dog food sandwiches on molding bread?"

"I-"

"You were out there on that fence busting your ass to stay alive. In the heat, fighting walkers, and then getting your ass beat in that broom closet. You didn't have a comfortable bed. You didn't have shit. I spent all my days just fucking chilling in the bar room and watching TV. You needed it more."

"Kiko-"

"Just say 'thanks' and we'll forget about it. Please?"

Daryl steps closer to her, wrapping her in a side hug and kissing her head, "Thanks."

Sakiko felt her heart pick up speed. She wanted to cry. She wanted to break after everything.

So close. She was so close to breaking.

--

The gates to Hilltop felt like a dream and Sakiko felt her feet grow heavier. Almost there.

The gates open and Nanami, Maggie, and Glenn are running out before they could react.

"Sakiko!" Nanami cries.

Sakiko's body felt heavy and she just allows Nanami to wrap her in a hug, picking her up off the ground for a second.

"I was so worried. I was so fucking worried," Nanami sobs on her shoulder.

"'m okay, Na," she tries to reassure.