past meets future

Sakiko shakes her hands dry, standing up right.

"Dudette," Jerry knocks on the door, "We're a go. Is you ready to 'go'?"

She laughs nervously, opening the door, "As ready as I'll ever be."

"Nice!" he cheers, setting an arm around her shoulders, "Lets grill some bitches."

"Have you seen Glenn? I actually need to talk to him for a second."

"Last I saw.." he points around, "Talking to Tara over at the gates?"

Sakiko nods, taking big steps to go in that direction. But, Ezekiel cuts her off, Carol and Sophia behind him.

"It is time we take our leave," Ezekiel says, arms outstretched, "Today, we finish the fight."

"Now?" Sakiko asks.

"Daryl and Nanami just gave the signal. It's time for the cars to move out and then move in on Rick's cue," Carol confirms.

"Right," Sakiko nods, following behind Ezekiel to one of the modified vehicles.

--

"I don't know who I should say to take care of who, if I'm honest," Michonne chuckles.

"We'll take care of each other," Rick smiles, "All of us."

"We'll do the same here," Carl nods in agreement.

Nanami and Carl look at each other and Michonne and Rick trade a knowing look.

"I'll meet you at the car, Nanami," Rick informs, he and Michonne stepping away with arms interlocked.

"You can stay here," Carl offers.

"I have to be out there," Nanami denies, "We could use your help out there, too."

Carl sighs and Nanami grabs his hand, "What if there's no coming back from this?"

"This.. what?"

"A war. I mean.. With Woodbury, it ended when the Governor died. Everyone else.. We accepted the Woodbury people like family. It was peace."

"Yeah," Nanami recalls.

"You did that. You caused peace for what you did."

Nanami didn't like that praise. Was it praise? Carl made it sound like it was but it didn't really feel like it.

"But.. It could be better than that. Now, especially."

"What do you mean by that?"

"Does Negan have to die?"

"Carl, he killed-"

"I know," Carl cuts him off, "I know. It's just.. When I was in the Sanctuary, I saw so many people. Innocent people. Workers that had no choice but to be there."

"Then, shouldn't that be more reason to take Negan out? Like your dad is planning? We take him out, save the rest. If there are any left that still live by Negan's code, we deal with them, too."

"Wouldn't it be better to have Negan surrender and live as an example?"

"But, he would still be living."

Carl sighs once more, shrugging.

"What brought this on all of the sudden?"

"It's nothing," Carl shakes his head, pulling Nanami into a hug, "Just stay safe out there. Please."

Nanami frowns but hugs him back nonetheless. As they part, Nanami kisses Carl's cheek then lips.

"We'll be back soon," Nanami promises, "You hold things down around here. People look up to you more than you know."