a decade's time

-10 years later-

"Happy birthday to you! Happy birthday, my Haha! Happy birthday to you!"

Sakiko's eyes flutter open, being met face to face with her almost eleven year old, Kistune.

"How do you know that's today? How do you know what a birthday is?" Sakiko questions, sitting up in bed.

"Jesus talked about having birthdays and Christmas. Ms. Tammy made this for you," Kitsune holds up a small plate with a deformed cupcake- no icing or candle. Just a match that was burning quickly and cake.

Sakiko laughs, leaning forward and blowing the already burnt match.

"Yay!" Kistune cheers, hopping into bed with Sakiko, giving her a big hug, "Happy birthday, Haha!"

"Thank you, baby," Sakiko praises, kissing Kistune's head.

"Do you have to work today?"

"I have to work every day, love," Sakiko reminds.

"Jesus said people didn't work on their birthdays before.." Kitsune frowns.

The pieces fall together at once.

"Did you want today to be my birthday so I didn't have to work and we could hang out?" Sakiko suspects.

Kitsune purses her lips, shrugging silently.

Sakiko closes her eyes, taking a breath.

She really didn't understand how Maggie led Hilltop with everything on her plate. But, Sakiko knew that her daughter meant more than anything to her.

"How about this.." Sakiko offers.

Kitsune perks up, eyes sparkling with hope.

"I will fire Tara for the day and you can be my helper?"

Kitsune nearly drops the cupcake as she tries to set it on the nightstand, "Really!?"

"Really," Sakiko nods, "But, you have to help me out a lot and boss Alden around."

"Yes! Yes! Yes!" Kitsune bounces on the bed, tackling Sakiko in a hug, "I'll tell Alden to do everything from scrub the toilets to milk the cows!"

--

Nanami's eyes snap open at the sound of walkers growling and cans rattling.

"Na!"

Nanami rolls on the ground, using the tree to pull himself up.

"Five?" Nanami makes sure, picking up his machete.

"Assholes," his partner spits, stabbing one walker.

It doesn't take but a minute for them to clear the walkers that threatned their camp.

"How we looking on food?"

Nanami sighs, squatting down and shooting his friend a dirty look.

"Martinez.." Nanami scolds.

"I'm fuckin' hungry, dude," Martinez mumbles dropping his knife.

"Yeah, me too," Nanami scoffs, "I say we circle back around to that nature park we saw the signs for."

"We've been through wildlife reserves and parks dozens of times.. That's where people went at the beginning and then shit went bad. Parks are a bust, man."

"Parks might be a bust for regular shit but animals would still go back there. We could hunt for a few days- plus the waterfalls in Georgia have clean fucking water which-" Nanami tugs Martinez's arm, "I don't know about you but some clean water sounds good, dude."

Martinez sighs, running a hand over his face before tugging at the rusted chain around his neck.

"I'm getting real sick of Georgia. I hate being back here. I thought.."

"You thought it'd be easier," Nanami relates, "I thought the same. But, I agree."

"We been from Nevada to the Dakotas to fuckin Florida.. There's no shit left in this goddamn world."

Nanami nods, hating that Martinez was so right about that.

"Na, I think it's time-"

"No," Nanami shuts down.

"Come on, man! I doubt all five communities have fallen. There's gotta still be people from the old prison group and-"

"I said 'no', man. Why can't you drop that shit? You've been talking about it for a month."

"I'm tired of being on the road, Na. I know your dad, sister, and others still gotta be out there. Come on.."

"I can't go back."

"The only person that says or believes that is you. Dude, we can't keep living on the road like this."

Nanami looks at their sad excuse of a camp.

Old tin cans were strung around the trees- walker alarms that Daryl had tought him about years ago. They didn't even have blankets, instead prayed that the leaves were soft enough.

"We should find a steady base for a few days. Looks like it might rain," Nanami decides.

Nanami stands and Martinez follows him, grabbing his arm.

"When I said that I owed you my life when you found me, I meant it. When I said I was following your lead because I trusted you more than I trusted myself, I meant that shit, too. But, Na, we can't keep living out here."

Nanami wordlessly pulls from Martinez, kicking the small fire and picking up his bag with a soft 'let's go'.