a year's time

"Your breath smells like Big Cat," Nanami murmurs against Carl's lips, "Did you eat candy without me?"

"Maybe," Carl dismisses, tangling his fingers in Nanami's hair.

"Fucking jerk," Nanami insults, pinching Carl's side.

"Michonne found it and opened it. I couldn't.." Carl pauses, caught up in the kiss for a second, "Couldn't let it go to waste."

Nanami scoffs, pulling Carl closer.

He loved mornings like this. Waking up in a tangled mess of limbs and just enjoying the time spent with Carl.

"Are you going on the run today?" Carl asks.

"No," Nanami pulls back just enough to keep their foreheads touching, "I was going to stay back and help fortify the south wall. Eugene thinks we can expand the lot before the end of the month."

Nanami grins, capturing Carl's chin between his finger and thumb for a small kiss.

"You?"

"No," Carl denies, "I'm staying back to keep things held down here. Plus, there's a rumor that more Kingdom and Hilltop are joining."

"Maggie?"

"Maybe. She mentioned something to Jesus and Jesus mentioned something to Tara who mentioned it to Michonne and-"

"She said, he said," Nanami scoffs.

"Yeah," Carl agrees, rolling over to check the time on the alarm clock that set on the nightstand.

"You wanna get some lunch?" Nanami asks, grunting as he sits up on the edge of the bed, pulling a shirt on.

"Yeah.." Carl mutters, "I just gotta be free by nine. That's when everyone's leaving."

"Do you know where my dad is? He's going, right?"

"Michonne said he was still at Hilltop," Carl gives him a look.

Nanami pulls his lips into a line, humming.

"Do you think Ezekiel will be there? Jerry or Carol? Benjamin?"

"You want to know how she's doing, huh?"

Nanami sighs. 

Maybe the morning wasn't so good, after all.

"She's gotta be around her due date, right? If she hasn't already had the baby.." Nanami fiddles with his fingers as he replies.

"You can go on the run if you really want to know. I mean.. Daryl is more than likely going. You haven't talked to him in like three months, Na."

"I've gotta be here. Eugene needs my help on the wall."

Carl's look returns- knowing Nanami better than Nanami knew Nanami.

"It's fine," Nanami dismisses, standing and stretching, "Come on, let's go get some food."

--

Sakiko was growing accustomed to waking up with murder on her mind.

Quickly followed by her newborn, of course.

"I know, love," she whispers, picking the baby up out of it's crib, "It's early, huh?"

The baby nuzzles into her chest and Sakiko turns her body around in half circles, the baby's favorite way of being rocked.

"Kistune," she sighs, "Momma thinks we should take the day off. What are your thoughts?"

Kitsune, the sweet baby girl in her arms, gurgles, pulling at the buttons of her night shirt.

The shirt used to be Jerry's, but she stole it once and hasn't returned it. It was like five times her size and she loved it to sleep and lounge in ever since her belly popped when she was in her second trimester.