jerry

"Right through here, dudette," Jerry leads.

"Thanks, big guy," Sakiko smiles as Jerry opens the door to her room.

"Your dad and brother are there and there," he points to two rooms across the hall, "If you want, I can stick by until you get everything settled. I can walk you to our dinner room."

"You have a whole dinner room?" Sakiko asks, looking around the room.

The room was about the same size as she and Ryan's room back in Alexandria. But, there were paintings on the walls instead of photos. Visions of animals from the jungle- the tiger being treated like the main attraction.

"Nabila, one of our people here, she's taken to painting. She used to when she was younger to help with depression. When we settled here, she started giving classes to people to help them through similar battles," Jerry explains, noticing Sakiko's eyes.

"That's nice," Sakiko nods, "At one of our old camps.. I got to decorate it. Mostly just posters and bedding. But, it was something."

"Nabila says it gives the place life," Jerry looks at one of the walls, "I gotta agree with her."

The little fox runs into the room, jumping up on the bed and trying to burrow in the blankets, causing Sakiko and Jerry to laugh.

"Little dude got a name?" Jerry asks.

"Ry-Ry," Sakiko smiles.

"Like Rihanna?"

"Something like that," Sakiko laughs.

"You can put your knives away. Or keep 'em. It's pretty safe in here, so most aren't armed unless training."

"Training? For..?"

"Just training. King wants everyone to stay in tip-top shape and ability. Just to be safe."

"Safe in case the Saviors attack?"

Jerry tilts his head, humming, "Not necessarily."

"Because he doesn't want to fight?"

"Ah.. It's more than that. But, it's the King's decision. Not mine."

"You're like second in command, no? Your voice matters, too."

"I stand with my King. No matter what."

"He save you through some tough shit, huh?" Sakiko sits on the edge of the bed, "Did you know each other before."

"Only after. I guess that's how you met your dad- Daryl?"

"No. No, we go way back before all this. I've known Daryl since I was like ten."

"Damn. It's strange to think about knowing someone that long in these days."

"Yeah.. I think I kinda take it for granted if I'm honest. Him and Nanami. But, family is.. family."

"Well, on behalf of the Kingdom, we hope that you will soon think of us as family as well."

Jerry begins to walk away, sending her a friendly smile and wave. Sakiko wasn't done, though.

"Hey, Jerry?"

"Yes?" he asks, twirling back around to look at her.

"How come you haven't asked me like.. why I'm here? Why the Saviors took me? How I got out?"

She tries to read his facial expressions. But, all she gets is concern and hopefulness.

"We've all done pretty messed up things. I don't want to define anyone by their faults or.. or what people can take from them. I don't want us to live in the shadow of vain. It's unfair. It isn't how we move on with building a better future."