future from past ashes

It only took about two hours until Kitsune was complaining that she was tired.

"I really need the extra garden space for herbal medications," Enid expresses.

"Would it come in just as handy as medication?" Sakiko questions.

"If I can grow the right things."

Sakiko nods carefully, "Medication is getting harder to come by now.. Especially meds that aren't expired. I'll set up a team for you to get that new plot going and whatever you need. You'll have to oversee the full thing, though."

"No biggie," Enid agrees, "Thanks, Kiko."

"You got it," Sakiko points to her before resting her hands on Kitsune's shoulders to guide her out of the medical trailer.

"Haha," Kitsune complains, "I thought being in charge was more fun than this. I only got to tell Alden to make a pointier stick and not burn himself. The crops are boring- Kal and Eduardo just put plastic over it and dig holes."

Sakiko chuckles, moving to rest her arm on Kitsune's shoulders as they walk.

"Then, you just had a 'noise complaint'? What even is that?"

"It means that Tara gave a kid younger than you a kazoo and they don't know how to be quiet."

"What's a kazoo?"

"A walker alarm."

"That's dumb, Why even have those?"

"Heck if I know, Kitsu.. I wish I did, though."

Kitsune throws her arm around Sakiko's waist, trudging along.

"Can Kal bring me to Grandpa's sometime? I haven't seen him in forever."

"You saw him two days ago," Sakiko reminds.

"Yeah.." Kitsune holds her free hand out, "Forever. That's what I said."

"I think grandpa has you spoiled rotten."

"Hey! Walkers are rotten and stinky. Not me!"

"Yeah, yeah," Sakiko waves her off, "You keep saying as long as you don't know how I grew up. You're lucky to be behind these walls, for your information."

"That's because of you, Haha. You did all this."

"No, I only helped. Your Aunt Maggie and Uncle Glenn did thirty times as much as I did. And Jesus, Tara, Alden, Enid, Kal, Eduardo, Earl, Bertie, Tammy- everyone here is a working part of all  this."

"But, you did it," Kitsune offers with a smile.

"I want you to remember something, love. You gotta listen real close to it, all right?"

"Yes, ma'am."

Sakiko smiles softly, pulling Kitsune closer into her side, "Everything we have now came at a cost. A lot of people gave a lot of time, effort, and sacrifice to make all this happen."

"What was it like before, Haha?"

Sakiko exhales at the question. Her mind races back to the years on the road or in between camps.

The bombing of Atlanta. The quarry where Merle and Daryl began training her and Nanami. Running away. Being found at the last second. The farm. Daryl getting shot. Losing the farm so brutally. Separation. The prison. The Governor and Woodbury's attacks. Losing the prison. Separation once again. Those men and their wicked ways- what they nearly took from Sakiko that night if not for Daryl. Terminus and the cruel intentions. Being on the road again. Anger, loss, exhaustion, pain.. Alexandria. Hilltop. Kingdom-.