Chapter 25

▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃
╔═.★.══════════╗
𝑳𝑰𝑻𝑻𝑳𝑬 𝑯𝑨𝑾𝑲𝑺
╚══════════.☆.═╝
▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃

Hawks is in the living room. It's been exactly twenty minutes since the 30-minute timer went off and you were still outside. While he's sitting on the couch, the phone on the coffee table in front, Hawks took it and stared at the time.

He just wants to make sure the time on his phone is right. He glanced at the digital clock ahead and it was exactly the same.

"Where is she," he muttered, starting to get worried all of a sudden.

As the time ticked by, Hawks couldn't contain his worry and when ten minutes passed and you hadn't arrived yet, Hawks decided to call you. Had you not answered after a few rings, Hawks would have flown out the house right that instant and looked for you. But when he heard your voice, he couldn't help but let out a sigh of relief.

"What?" you asked when you heard the sigh. "Were you that worried?"

"Why wouldn't I? You're supposed to be home thirty minutes ago."

"Things happened," you said nonchalantly, looking out the window as you remembered what occurred earlier.

"What things?" Hawks asked almost instantly.

Though you don't recall who those guys were, they knew you, at least they knew who you were. It's not like you keep tabs on your enemies back in the Underground, especially when they weren't exactly that much of a threat.

"Don't worry much about it," you said. "I'm almost there. I'm hanging up now."

You ended the call as the car slowed down. You glanced at the box of cake, the cake now ruined because of those guys. You still think altering their memories and punching the shit out of that guy weren't enough. But you don't want to think much about it now.

You have more things to think about. More important things, so just as the car halted, you decided to clear your thoughts about the incident that happened earlier and decided to focus on the more important thing.

After paying the cab, you walked to the house and the moment you opened the door and stepped inside, a blur of red suddenly came before you were engulfed in a hug. You weren't able to react at first because of the abruptness, until a moment later when Hawks leaned back, you looked at him.

"Aren't you..." you started, before letting out a chuckle and then clearing your throat. "Overreacting? I was just gone for barely an hour and you're like this already."

"Barely an hour? You said you'd be back in thirty minutes."

You started to make your way to the kitchen and Hawks followed.

"Where are the twins?" you asked, putting the box of cake on the table.

"They fell asleep."

"I see," you muttered, untying the ribbon around the box. "Then, we'll have more time to do this."

Instead of asking 'do what', you noticed Hawks' eyes were at your hands and before you realized it, he had seized your hand and looked at your reddened knuckles, his eyebrows furrowing.