Chapter 35

▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃
╔═.★.══════════╗
𝑳𝑰𝑻𝑻𝑳𝑬 𝑯𝑨𝑾𝑲𝑺
╚══════════.☆.═╝
▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃

You did not see Keishi after he left, when Hawks came back to the kitchen, he said Keishi had fallen asleep so you did not ask anything more afterwards. You did not ask what the father and son talked about, you did not ask what was the matter with Keishi.

You knew Hawks will tell you anyway, so you decided not to ask. It was during dinner when you finally saw Keishi and you noticed his eyes. He was rubbing them, probably because he just woke up and his eyes looked a little puffy.

But you couldn't help but feel that it was more than just from sleep and your motherly instinct tells you that Keishi's puffy eyes were caused by him most likely crying.

"Keishi," you called and the little boy looked at you before he broke into a grin and ran up to you.

"Mama!" he said, wrapping his arms around your waist. "Mama has a pretty hair color!"

You were a bit surprised when he suddenly said that and you looked at your hair. If anything, it looks ordinary. But it did help you quite a lot during your time in the Underground, because your hair color blends well in the shadow. It doesn't particularly stand out.

"Come to think of it, you got my hair color," you said, putting your hand on his head, your fingers brushing through his locks before you smiled. "So adorable."

"Mama's so pretty too," he said before he let go and ran past you towards the table where Keita was helping Hawks with setting the table.

You didn't know what happened earlier when Keishi left, but you know he's in a better mood now. You didn't know what Hawks told him either, but whatever he told his son, it's the reason why the little boy is in a better mood.

Nonetheless, you didn't forget about what Keita said earlier. About the kid who had the audacity to act like that towards the twins. Even if the twins seem to have forgotten all about it, you did not.

Throughout dinner, the twins would occasionally talk about things and you would listen as their voices drowned the silence. They seem to leave out the part that included the kid they met earlier as they talk about the things they learn during classes.

You liked listening to the twins talk, their voices always sounded eager and cute. But soon after, dinner ended and the twins had to go to bed early because they still have school tomorrow.

"Mama," Keita called as he lay down. "Sorry, we failed today's hero mission."

"Hero mission?" you muttered, briefly forgetting about that until Keita mentioned it. "Oh, that? It's alright. There's no need to worry about that now."

"Next time," Keishi started and you and Keita looked at him. "Next time mama gives us a hero mission, we'll definitely succeed!"

"Yes!" Keita said, lifting his hand and forming it into a small fist. "We'll definitely succeed."

"Alright," you said, smiling as you pat the twins on the head. "Get lots of sleep now. You two need lots of energy tomorrow."

You turned off the lights, leaving their lamps on that provided a warm dim lighting in their room before you headed outside their room. And when you closed the door behind you, Hawks stopped. In his hands he carried two mugs of hot cocoa before he handed you one and you took it.