CHAPTER 19: Strangers Again

They say time flies by too fast when you're having fun. Beomgyu couldn't have agreed more because right now, every minute passing by felt like seconds. The sun turned orange and was setting down little by little. If possible, he would wish for it to stop. He knew he wasn't ready. He wasn't prepared for the inevitable consequences.

Beomgyu was sitting in a pastel pink gondola of a Ferris wheel, watching the beautiful and unforgettable scenery of sunset with his lover, or soon-to-be stranger, to be more accurate. The view sure was breathtaking, yet it was no match for the beauty of the man sitting across from him.

"Taehyun..." Beomgyu started.

The other hummed, letting him know he was paying attention.

"Thank you, for today. Thanks a lot..." The black-haired reached out to take Taehyun's hands in his as he continued. "I really didn't think you'd actually go along with this stupid idea of mine. But you did, and.... the time we've spent together today was priceless for me. And I hope you'll also treasure this memory like I do. You know, you look pretty when you smile. And— and that time when you were trying your best to win the game for me? God that was so hot I..."

Fuck, Beomgyu felt himself getting emotional already. He was definitely not ready to let go. Their gondola was moving gradually to the top.

"I know that you despise me and you just want to get this over with but..." Beomgyu felt like tearing up as each syllable left his mouth. "I want to be with you, forever" he tightened his grip on the younger's hands, trying to calm down. "If possible... I want us to be official but I know you wouldn't want me. Because in your eyes, I've always been a nuisance.." He was trying his best to hold back tears and even Taehyun acknowledged that.

"I admit that there's nothing attractive about me. But the feeling I have towards you is so real and sincere I- I don't know how to say it. I just— I like you so much, Hyun, no matter how hard I try to stop myself"

The sun was setting. Their gondola moved little by little. Taehyun wasn't sure what to do. Beomgyu was having a mental breakdown in front of him and obviously, he wouldn't want to make it worse.

"Can we ... kiss for the very last time, please? That's all I ask for" The gaze Beomgyu was giving him was so vulnerable and fragile like a glass, as if he would break if not handled carefully.

Taehyun scooted forward and gently pulled the black haired towards him. He softly brushed his lips over the other's soft ones before completely pressing them together, initiating a kiss.

The two shut their eyes, taking in the bittersweetness of their goodbye kiss. A droplet of tears fell from Beomgyu's eyes and made its way trickling down his cheeks.

As the pink gondola descended, the sun was already gone. With hands intertwined, the couple made their way out with their plushies in hand.

It was time to let go, Beomgyu knew that. But how could he ever let go if he had such strong emotions for the silver head? His heart was aching, yearning for Taehyun's warmth even when he was right there. The younger didn't rush it either. He stood still, waiting for Beomgyu to prepare himself.

Instead of retracing his hand, Beomgyu suddenly pulled Taehyun in for a hug, to which the other responded by softly patting his head.

"Tae... I love you"

Beomgyu confessed with a heavy heart, his chin resting on the younger's shoulders. "Can you not leave me? Stay with me instead? We can actually date for real... wouldn't that be awesome?" He asked, already knowing what the answer would be.

There was a long pause before Taehyun answered.

"I'm sorry"

How could two words cause so much pain?

Despite having expected this already, it still hurt a lot.

'The rumors said so. Yeah, anyone who dared to confess to the Ice Prince would always end up getting rejected. How can I be any different? Why did I even hope to be special...? You've expected too much, Choi Beomgyu'

The two released themselves from the hug with thick tension lingering between them. It was high time...

"Goodbye," Taehyun said coldly before turning back and walking away from the older. Beomgyu wanted to shout, to yell at Taehyun and ask him to come back.

But he couldn't. And the sensation of tears spilling out of his eyes was back again.

As if nothing ever happened, the two became strangers again.

But this time, they were strangers, with memories.

——————-•|•|•|•———————

Taehyun stared at the bear plushie in his hands as he waited for the bus. He took a long glance at the trash can nearby, then averted his gaze back to the bear. 'Why am I contemplating? I should have thrown his garbage away the moment I walked out'

He got up and placed the toy over the trash can. Before he could drop it, Taehyun hesitated. Voices were occupying his head.

"Think about me whenever you look at it"

"I love you"

"Can you not leave me?"

Taehyun was cold, but he wasn't blind. He knew that Beomgyu's love was deeper than anyone could ever offer to him. And yet... he didn't want to associate himself with love. The feeling of being in a romantic relationship with someone scared him. The memories of the moments they spent together had effects on him more than he was willing to admit.

He felt something for Beomgyu, he knew. But it wasn't enough to call love. Could be pity, maybe?

The bus finally arrived. The silver haired took a deep breath and stepped on the bus, carrying the soft bear with him.

~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•

Beomgyu locked himself in his bedroom as soon as he got home. He cried his eyes out, hugging the squirrel plush tightly against his chest. He couldn't bring himself to eat, even if his mom was cooking his favorite.

The memory of recent events started replaying in his head. Starting from the bathroom... the bed where they made love... became boyfriends the next day...the cafe...the amusement park...they kissed and broke up right after... it was hard to believe all of that happened in just 24 hours.

It was both the happiest and the saddest day of his life.

'What would our relationship be like after this? Do I just pretend not to know him at school? How could I ever move on...'

Nevertheless, they had made a promise. If Taehyun agreed to date him for a day, Beomgyu would leave him alone for good after that. It was all according to the agreement, but still why did it hurt so much?

His tears stained the plushie by now. He forced himself to sleep, feeling like a total loser.

'I wonder... did you catch any feelings for me at all? Even just a little bit...'

His answer would probably be no. But it would still be okay to dream, right?

•~————+𝘅+————~•

New update! Hope you enjoyed the angst T~T

—> YEONBIN will be back next chap!

Vote for TXT on MAMA and AMA!!