Chapter 40: Someone Who Cares

(Sorry for the April Fools. Real chapter this time)

Kai ran out of the building while holding back tears. 'Why did it have to be this way? Why did you not tell me? Just why?'

His mind was whirlwind, the questions repeatedly asking itself in his head. It all still seemed absurd to him how his best friend had been doing things behind his back. As he reached the main entrance, a big tree by the gate caught his eye. Slowly, he made his way over while wiping his tears with his sleeves.

After sitting down, Kai hugged his knees and continued sobbing, unaware of another person's presence on the other side of the big tree.

The said person was a brunette attentively listening to some songs on his headphones. As the song ended, faint crying noises reached his ears, alerting him from his sentimental mood. The student then removed his headphones and turned his back to look at the weeping boy.

"Hey, what's wrong, man?"

Not only did Huening Kai not reply, but the stranger's concern even made him cry harder.

"Hey? Are you okay?" He asked.

"It's.. none of your business" Kai snarked amidst sobs without looking up to face the stranger.

The other student gasped at the audacity. "Sure, fine! But like, can you go weep somewhere else? I found this spot first and I kinda need to do some vocal practice. Can't do it with you ruining the atmosphere"

"Why should I be the one to leave? You should leave!"

"What? It's literally my special spot, you're the intruder coming out of nowhere, dirtying my place with tears and snot like a child, gosh"

Kai still refused to get up from his knees, still sulking with his head down.

"Whatever. I'll just find somewhere else" The vocal student packed his bag and prepared to leave. But as he stood up and saw how pitiful the blonde boy looked, the empathy in him kicked in, making him unable to walk away.

He sighed and set his bag back down, sitting down on the grass next to Kai.

"Can you tell me what happened? Maybe I can help?" He asked with a more soothing tone. Kai shook his head.

The vocalist has yet to give up. "Okay, I probably won't be able to help. But if you let out the feelings and pent up inside by telling it to someone, it'll make you feel better. It doesn't matter that we technically don't know each other"

Huening stopped sobbing and finally looked up from his knees to examine the stranger's face. After confirming that it was indeed an unfamiliar face, he started talking.

"Nobody understands me. They all leave me"

"What makes you think that? We've never actually talked, but I've seen you around campus. You were always surrounded by many friends with a bright smile on your face"

"Having many friends doesn't matter when my very best friend and even my cousin don't value my company"

"I'm assuming you got into a fight?"

Kai nodded. "My best friend, he... has been hiding something very important from me. And we've been friends since childhood, I shared all my life stories with him so... it pains me that he couldn't do the same for me"

Sneaky Link||YEONBINOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara