Chapter 31: Infirmary

Taehyun was mindlessly plucking out grass from the lawn.

"We'll take forever to finish if you keep doing that" reminded Heeseung who was working diligently.

"Don't talk to me" The white haired uttered.

"As if I want to. But at this rate, we'll end up here all evening"

Taehyun groaned. "Ugh... this is all your fault"

"How is it my fault? You literally punched me first"

"You were provoking me on purpose — acting all lovey-dovey. It was sickening. You clearly asked for it"

"So you're jealous"

"No"

"You got triggered. That means you were jealous. Oh that reminds me, you haven't answered my question yet. Do you love him?"

"It's none of your business"

Heeseung rolled his eyes at the hostile responses. "I don't get why Gyu's so obsessed with you" he murmured quietly.

"What did you say..?" Taehyun wondered if he heard wrong.

"Yeah, you heard that right. He still hasn't moved on from you. Even though I am right here..." Heeseung had a blank face on while planting a daisy into the hole he's been digging.

"Really?"

"Yeah, for real. He cries every time he tells me about you. It was a hard sight to watch, so I asked him to be my boyfriend. He said he'd think about it. We've been behaving like a couple since then— to help him move on from you"

Taehyun also planted a flower of his own. "So you two aren't officially together?"

The older nodded. "No matter how much I take care of him, you're still the one stuck in his heart. I don't know what strategy to use anymore... maybe it's about time I step out"

Taehyun silently listened. A train of thoughts circulated his mind.

"You've lost a real gem, Taehyun. It seems like Beomgyu is a really good person. Once he's settled for someone, it's hard to change his mind. I'm jealous of you"

The two finally conversed normally without veins popping out their necks.

"So you're saying... he still loves me? He doesn't despise me?" Taehyun clarified.

"Yeah! If you still don't believe me... go ahead and ask him" Heeseung's eyes wandered off to someone running towards them from the distance.

Beomgyu's black hair bounced atop of his head as he ran. His face was full of concern.

"Are you guys.. okay?.." Beomgyu panted as he arrived.

"See for yourself" said Heeseung. Beomgyu looked at the two with bruises and blood on their faces.

"You don't seem okay... I heard the principal called you two in his office. How'd it go? Did he say anything harsh?"

"I'm fine. But for him..." Heeseung glanced at Taehyun who hasn't breathed a single word since Beomgyu's arrival. Look at him, planting flowers like a pro farmer all of a sudden.

"Enough. I'm done here, so I'll be heading home" Heeseung took his gloves off and looked at Taehyun who was watering his newly planted marigolds.

"Eh? But- didn't you say we'd get ice cream together?" Beomgyu asked.

"Not hungry. And I've got stuff to do at home. Sorry, Gyu. Maybe next time" Heeseung walked over and whispered in Taehyun's ear. "Your chance is here, grab it"