Chapter 23: Empty Promise

The black haired duo hit the road by taking Yeonjun's motorbike towards the hospital. Upon their arrival, Soobin hurriedly dragged the older to the second floor where his mother would be staying. After entering the room, a woman could be seen peacefully resting on the hospital bed with IV drip injected into her wrists. Her eyes shot open when the door opened.

"Mom!" Entered Soobin with a bright smile on his face. He hugged his beloved mother gently, earning her warm smile in return.

"Is my little boy doing well?"

"Yes, mom. Life's great! Oh and, I've brought someone with me today"

Yeonjun moved closer towards the bed and bowed, holding a bouquet of sunflowers he bought along the street.

"Mom, meet Yeonjun. He's my... err.." Soobin and Yeonjun took a moment to stare at each other.

"Friend" said Yeonjun.

"Right. Meet Yeonjun, my friend"

Mrs Choi gave them a questionable look but didn't say anything nonetheless. "Nice to meet you, Yeonjun"

"Likewise" the male handed her the bouquet with a flashy smile. She gladly accepted it.

"Sunflowers. You've picked my favorite"

"Ah, Soobin told me you fancied them. Figured I should come with a gift for a good first impression" Yeonjun replied.

Soobin's mother may be old in age, but her looks suggested otherwise. This woman looked as if she were in her early thirties. Her face was free of wrinkles. She looked nothing like a dying patient.

"Mom, have you been well? Any concerns at all?" Soobin pulled a chair near the bed and sat down next to his mother.

"I've gotten a lot better recently. The doctors are telling me I'm making progress and they've switched to giving me better medications"

"I'm glad to hear that"

"But where did you get those money all of a sudden?" She genuinely wanted to know. The worry was evident on her face. She knew how her son struggled to make a living before, but everything seemed to have miraculously gotten better.

"I've been working part time! You know... typical waiter at a diner"

He wasn't totally lying, it just wasn't the complete truth.

"I don't think a waiter can earn that much, sweetie..."

Yeonjun wanted to laugh. Soobin's mother was a sharp woman. And She clearly was onto his tail.

"My boss is nice and understanding. Don't you worry, mom. Your son wouldn't resort to thievery or drug dealing or whatever. I'll always do honest jobs like how you raised me. So... just stay here and receive treatment, okay? I've got the expenses covered"

Soobin held his mother's hands. She entangled their fingers and smiled. "I trust you, bin bin"

"Mommm! Don't call me that nickname in front of him... it's embarrassing"

Yeonjun and Mrs Choi laughed. The three continued to converse, mainly Soobin's mom getting to know Yeonjun.

After a while Soobin volunteered to go downstairs and get them something to eat.

"Mom, do you want anything? I'll go get it for you"

His mother paused to think for a moment. "I'm kinda craving warm porridge"

Soobin nodded and turned to Yeonjun. "Hyung?"

'You' was what Yeonjun wanted to say but chose not to since Soobin's mom was there and he wouldn't want her to get any more suspicious of him.