12 - Just Like The Movies

The ride to the theater was frankly very, awkward, to say the least. Partially because of what had happened back at her apartment and partially because of what was going to happen at the movies.

Neither Akshara nor Abhimanyu said a word to each other as Abhimanyu drove them to the theatre. What would they say? Should Abhimanyu say 'Sorry, I acted so protective' or should Akshara be grateful and say, 'Thank you for protecting me. No one's done that for me before'

Yeah, not happening. Not even in their wildest dreams.

And that is exactly why they chose to drive in silence. No music, no nothing other than the loud silence that was playing like a drum in tune with the guitar strings of sexual tension.

Abhimanyu glanced over at Akshara who was busy looking out the window. It was the first time he had ever felt protective about someone. The thought of that creepy asshole bothering her when he wasn't there to protect her made his skin crawl with disgust and irrational anger.

Akshara turned around to look at Abhimanyu who was focused on watching the road straight ahead. Should she say something? Abhimanyu really wasn't as bad as the tabloids made him out to be. He was actually quite a gentleman. Protective. A great doctor at that too.

The corners of her lips turned into a small smile as she reminisced the way he wrapped his arm around her waist to protect her from Ronak. Yeah, Abhimanyu Birla was not that bad of a person. He was pretty good, actually.

Akshara bit her lip and turned her eyes away from Abhimanyu, choosing to watch the road in front of her. They had a year of 'togetherness' to go through. The least they could do was be cordial with each other, right? Perhaps friends even?

But how? How does one bring up the topic of friendship? Had Abhimanyu ever been just friends with a girl before? Akshara shook that obtuse, foreign thought away from her mind. Abhimanyu and being just friends with a girl? Please. Knowing his history with the female sex, Hell would have to freeze over first in order for that to happen.

"And we're here." Abhimanyu announced, pulling the car up into the parking lot of the movie theatre and pulling Akshara out of her baseless thoughts.

"Right. Let's do this." Akshara nodded her head, still avoiding eye contact with Abhimanyu.

Yeah, she needed to get rid of those weird thoughts she was having about being friends with Abhimanyu Birla. Men like him did not make friends. She should just be grateful that he was at least being cordial with her.

Akshara got out of the passenger seat and made her way around the hood of the car to go stand beside Abhimanyu, placing her hand in his outstretched one.

"Ready?" She asked, nodding her head.

"Not like we have a choice." The disinterest was heavily visible in his voice.

~*~

As they walked into the movie theater, Akshara felt all sets of eyes on Abhimanyu. People stopped midway, some even rubbing their eyes to make sure they weren't dreaming when they watched Abhimanyu Birla walk into a movie theater, holding hands with the same girl he was seen with 2 days ago.

It was a first for Abhimanyu Birla —being seen with the same woman twice. And it was a first for all the individuals watching him too —seeing him with the same woman, more than once, and that too on a date.

"Everyone is staring at us." Akshara whispered, between grit teeth, keeping her face straight and a big smile plastered on her lips.