77 - My Guardian Angel

The operation went on for what felt like hours. Abhimanyu and his team were in the operating room for over 3 hours. Meanwhile, Manjiri and Yuvraaj Ghosh waited outside in the waiting area anxiously for any minuscule update on their son's surgery.

The door to the operating room finally opened and Abhimanyu walked out with Dr. Rohan, removing his mask before facing the Ghosh family.

"How is he? How is our son? How is Yuvaan?" A panicked Yuvraaj Ghosh began bombarding Abhimanyu with questions.

Manjiri looked at Abhimanyu, waiting for him to speak. "Yes Dr. How is our son? How is he?

The word son pricked Abhimanyu's heart every time Manjiri said It, but like a good doctor, Abhimanyu tried to keep his expressions and his demeanor as professional as possible. He would never compromise with his duty as a doctor.

"He is doing fine. The surgery was successful. He will be shifted to the patient room very soon and then you both would be able to see him. Rest, the future steps, recovery process, Dr. Rohan will explain to you."

"Thank you, thank you so much doctor!" Mr. Ghosh thanked Abhimanyu profusely while Manjiri looked on, her eyes watching Abhimanyu's every move.

"No, don't thank me, Sir. This is what we are trained to do. Save lives. That is our duty as doctors." Abhimanyu did not save lives for the accolades or the show of gratitude he would receive from his patients and his families. He became a doctor because he actually believed in the institution of medical science and how it can better the lives of people.

Abhimanyu gave Manjiri one last look before turning around and making way to his cabin. He wiped the lone tear that rolled down his eye, quickly, before anyone had a chance to question him about it.

~*~

The moment Abhimanyu sat down in his cabin, he took out his phone and dialed the first number on his speed dial list.

And she answered on the first ring. "Hi, Dumdum! I was just thinking about you." Just then he heard her soft playful giggles, making his the corners of his lips turn up in a rueful smile. "Okay, okay! We, we were just thinking about you." She rectified.

Abhimanyu wiped the tears prickling his lower waterline as he tried to speak, but no words came out. They were stuck at the bottom of his throat. Abhimanyu covered his mouth with his hand to stop from letting out a cry.

"Abhi?" Akshara paused and Abhimanyu could feel Akshara's brows furrowing as concern laced her voice. "Are...are you okay? Is...is something wrong?"

Abhimanyu held the phone away from his face, took a few, deep, calming breaths before answering. "I...I love you, Akshara."

"I love you too, Abhimanyu." Her voice was laced with concern and confusion but her words the tone of the voice was firm, definitive.

Akshara paused before continuing. "Abhi, are you okay? Is something wrong?"

"I...I am just tired. It was a very hectic morning." He explained.

"Okay..."

"I'll..." He paused before continuing. "I will talk to you when I come home. I'll be home soon."

Abhimanyu heard Akshara pause on the other end of the line. "Okay, I will wait for you."

Just then a knock was heard on his door. "Ahh, Akshara, I umm, I have got to go."

"Okay."

As he was ending the phone call, Akshara spoke again. "Abhi..."

"Hmm?"