27 - Some more S'mores Please

Just as Abhimanyu was having fun scaring the kids with his not-so-scary ghost and monster tactics, one of the other volunteers from the community center walked up to Akshara and Abhimanyu, looking to make introductions.

"Hi, my name is Priya." A girl a little elder than Akshara's age stretched her hand out for Abhimanyu.

"Hi, nice to meet you, Priya. I'm..." Abhimanyu flashed her his biggest grin as he accepted Priya's handshake.

"Abhimanyu Birla. Of course, who doesn't know who you are?" Her voice was sultry as she shyly tucked her hair behind her ear.

Unbelievable, Akshara thought, rolling her eyes at the scene unfolding in front of her, trying her hardest not to laugh. Watching girls bending over backwards for Abhimanyu Birla, her fake husband was amusing. He didn't even have to do anything and girls were ready to throw themselves at him. Oh, the power the man held.

"I'm one of the volunteers here. And you are here because?" Priya asked, trying to make small talk.

Akshara walked up to interrupt the conversation. "He came here to return my charger."

"In this pouring rain? How romantic!" Priya clasped her hands together and looked at Abhimanyu as if he were a prince straight out of a fairytale.

Akshara wanted to gag. "Just fulfilling the duties of a good husband is what I'd like to say." Yes, casually slip in there that he is married. To throw them off. And to stake claim.

"Married! Oh right! You two are married! Of course!" Priya's eyes widened in embarrassment at the acknowledgement. "Wait! So that video was real? From the courthouse?"

"Unfortunately, yes. But if I had met you before I met her, things would've been different. I guarantee it." Abhimanyu winked at Priya making her giggle, adding fuel to the fire making Akshara roll her eyes at how cheesy his flirt game was.

Just then Abhimanyu sneezed, taking Akshara's attention to his wet clothes. "Well, if you'll excuse me, I have to get my husband a new change of clothes before he gets sick."

"Yes, of course." Priya nodded her head and excused herself.

Akshara turned back to the group of kids waiting for them. "Guys, we'll be right back. Abhimanyu here has to quickly go change his clothes and then we'll be back to start our camping activities, okay?"

"Yes, Didi!" The kids responded in unison as Akshara grabbed Abhimanyu by the arm and began walking towards the office.

"Where are we going?" Abhimanyu asked, turning back to glance at the kids.

"To the Lost and Found. To get you a change of clothing."

"No! Ew. I'm not wearing those dirty clothes." Abhimanyu tried pulling his arm out of Akshara's grasp.

"The clothes are not dirty. For clothes that have been there for a long time, we make sure they're washed. And the last thing we need is you falling sick. The Gala is tomorrow. Remember?" Akshara sighed.

"Yes. Of course. The Gala. How could I forget?" Abhimanyu muttered under his breath.

Why did Abhimanyu sound so unhappy with the Gala? Was something bothering him? Never mind, why should she bother? "Yes, so let's go." Akshara pulled him into the office and towards the Lost and Found.

~*~

"Why are you frowning? What happened now?" Akshara questioned, her eyes darting towards Abhimanyu's sullen face as they walked out of the office. 20 minutes. It took Abhimanyu 20 minutes to decide on what shirt he wanted to wear.