31 - A Complicated Affair

"Don't worry about him. He'll be fine." Akshara felt a heavy presence walk up and stand beside her. She turned around to see Harshvardhan Birla looking down at her with a drink in his hand, before glancing in the direction Abhimanyu had disappeared.

"He's really angry." Akshara stared in Abhimanyu's direction. "I'm sorry if his chances to obtain votes for the CEO position got affected because of me. It was truly not my intention. I'm sorry." Akshara apologized, profusely looking up in Harshvardhan's direction.

"Do you want to know something about my son, Akshara?"

Akshara nodded her head. "Yes."

"He doesn't like it when someone undermines themselves. I saw the way the group of people whispering about you made you nervous. And if I could see it, he could see it too. And he hated the fact that you let those group of strangers shake your confidence. More than them whispering nasty things about you, he didn't like and appreciate how you began underestimating yourself. And then when he went to confront them, instead of supporting him, you reprimanded him." Harshvardhan explained.

"But that's not why I reprimanded him!" She had been worried about him and his dream —the one thing he'd asked her for —to make sure this night went perfectly.

"I know that. I understand what your intentions were. And he does too. But he's just too hotheaded at the moment to think clearly and appreciate you for trying. Go after him, and bring him back Akshara." Harshvardhan smiled at her, giving her a nudge a proverbial nudge in Abhimanyu's direction.

Akshara looked back at Harshvardhan with furrowed brows. For a man who seemed to not get along with his son, Harshvardhan surely understood his son better than he let on.

"Can I ask you a question, sir?"

"Why don't Abhimanyu and I get along if I understand my son so well? Is that it?"

Akshara nodded her head like a doe caught in the headlights, trying to make sense of the father-son relationship.

"Some relationships are just meant to be complicated." Harshvardhan replied, taking a sip of his whiskey.

"I disagree, sir. I believe relationships are complicated only if you allow them to be complicated. It's evident you care for your son. So why don't you let him see it too?"

"Some things are better left the way they are, Akshara. Because the bitter truth can sometimes break a person more than what a little white can do to help build a person up, keep them content."

Akshara frowned at Harshvardhan's cryptic words. What did he mean by the truth can hurt a person whilst a little white lie could keep them stable? Was he lying to Abhimanyu? Was he purposely making his own son hate him? Why? Why would a father want his own son to hate him?

"Don't think too much, Akshara. Like I told you, relationships are complicated and sometimes it's best they stay that way."

"But don't you want him to call you dad? Papa? And that too not sarcastically or mockingly? But just as a son, who loves and respects his father?" Akshara questioned, tugging on Harshvardhan's parental strings of hope.

Harshvardhan sighed. "That ship has sailed a long time back." He mumbled. "And now if you'd excuse me, my date is here. I need to attend to her."

"Wait, can I ask you one last question before you leave?"

"Yes."

"Why are you being so nice to me today? I thought you didn't like me?"

"I admit I wasn't too fond of you at first but now...now you seem like a alright girl with a good head above your shoulders. It's subtle but I can see the affect you have on Abhimanyu. You're starting to mean something to him. He's forming a bond, a relationship...he's starting to care. And that's all I ever wanted from my son."