63 - A Curve Ball

A few days later. Akshara was organizing their closets. Abhimanyu was working day in, day out and so, like always, other than the occasional visits to check upon the Children's Wing at the hospital, have lunch with Abhimanyu if he had the time and visit the community center, Akshara was pretty much free.

As Akshara scavenged throughout the closet, she came upon her dress for the Gala night. The black gown. Akshara ran her dinged over the soft material of the gown and bit her lower lip in anticipation.

She took out her phone, checked the time to read 4pm, and quickly clicked a picture of the dress before texting Abhimanyu: This reminds me, I believe someone still owes me a date before pressing send.

Akshara slipped her phone back in her pocket and busied herself on rearranging her closet, waiting for Abhimanyu's answer.

Just then the doorbell rang, catching Akshara off guard. She rushed out of their bedroom, her brain on overdrive, curious as to who it may.

As she flung open the door, she came face to face with her husband, Abhimanyu dressed in scrubs holding out one single rose for Akshara.

"Abhi? What are you doing here?" She asked, surprised but happy. Happy that he was home after a busy work week.

"For one, I finished my surgeries and didn't have any pending work, so I thought I'd surprise my favourite girl. And while I was on the way here, I saw your text. So. I thought today is the day to make light on the date I owe you."

"And the rose?" She asked, trying to suppress the flutters in her heart.

"I would say I picked it myself but there was a street vendor selling them at the traffic lights. I decided to buy all of them and take only one. Told him to hand out the roses for free. Spread the joy of love and kindness." He shrugged casually.

God! She loved it when her man was his unfiltered self. She couldn't even express how his casual kindness —brushing it off as if he did nothing of importance made her fall more in love with him.

"Come here you!" She grinned, pulling Abhimanyu in her embrace as she wrapped her arms around his neck and crushed her lips to his.

She wrapped her legs around Abhimanyu's torso just as he closed the apartment door behind him, immersed in the kiss, carrying her to their bedroom.

~*~

Akshara got dressed wearing a champagne satin dress which hit her right above the knees, with matching champagne coloured heels and a dusky overthrow to cover her bare shoulders.

Abhimanyu was dressed in all black. Black jeans, black shirt and a black leather jacket, looking absolutely scandalous. Just as he finished wearing his jacket, the doorbell rang.

"I'll get it." Akshara informed him and walked to open the door.

As Akshara opened the door, she came across a young girl, about her age, dressed In a pair of jeans and a blue t-shirt and a jean jacket.

"Hi, can I help you?" Akshara asked the girl.

"Is Abhimanyu here? Abhimanyu Birla?"

Akshara furrowed her brows just as her heart beat began picking up speed. "Ah...yes...yes he is." And suddenly she felt defensive. Protective....jealous too?

"Can I talk to him? It's urgent."

"Umm..."

Before Akshara could answer, Abhimanyu peaked his head out of the bedroom, walking out to where the girls were standing at the door.

"Who is it Akshara?"

Akshara turned around so Abhimanyu could see the girl behind her. "There is someone here who would like to talk to you." She was uncertain of the words that were coming out of her mouth. She felt uncomfortable.