30 - To Trust is To Honour

Abhimanyu and Akshara stilled at the bottom of the stairwell, awkwardly looking around the room at the numerous pairs of eyes staring back at them, following their every move.

"Why is everyone staring at us?" Akshara whispered, tilting her head towards Abhimanyu.

Abhimanyu's grip on Akshara's bare lower back tightened, not appreciating the lustful and envious gazes of the men and women in attendance around them.

"Oh no reason. They're just unable to come to terms with the fact that I'm actually off the market and married." To a stunning and gorgeous woman.

Akshara turned around and furrowed her brows at Abhimanyu. "The paparazzi videos from the courthouse when we got married weren't convincing?"

"They thought it was a sick joke I was playing to fool them."

"Aren't we though? Fooling them, that is?"

"Hi, I'm Dr. Parth Birla, Abhimanyu's cousin." Before Abhimanyu could respond, he was interrupted by Parth making his way up to Abhimanyu and Akshara.

Akshara glanced down at Parth's extended hand, waiting on her to slip her hand through. Beside her, she felt Abhimanyu's fingers digging into her waist whilst simultaneously feeling his jaw lock as he glared at Parth.

"Hi. Akshara. Akshara Abhimanyu Birla." She quickly slid her hand in and out of Parth's palm, not leaving him enough time to wrap his fingers around her hand.

"Nice to meet you, Akshara. It's finally good to be able to put a face to the name. We were beginning to suspect if Abhimanyu even had a wife with the way he was keeping you hidden tightly under the wraps." Parth ushered out, taking a mild jab at Abhimanyu.

"I told Shefali bhabhi to keep you locked up and hidden from the world but yet here you are." Abhimanyu mumbled, perking Akshara's ears up at the sly bitter remarks coming out of her husband's mouth.

"I assure you I'm 100% real." Akshara feigned her laughter, trying to keep both her husband and her husband's brother from creating a ruckus.

"So tell me, how'd you two meet? Abhinanyu of course won't tell me, so my only hope is you now, Akshara."

"We would love to tell you, Parth but the thing is, we don't want to." Abhimanyu replied, sarcastically. Without waiting or a reply, Abhimanyu let go off Akshara's waist and interlocked his fingers with hers, dragging her beside him and away from Parth.

"Wow, he really is a sleaze-bag." Akshara whispered to Abhimanyu, once they were a safe distance away.

"And you've barely been near him for more than a few seconds. How is it you can figure out how much of a pervert he is but no one else?" Abhimanyu replied, appalled at how many people Parth had managed to fool.

Akshara still felt disgusted at the way Parth's eyes had roamed all over her body. His lustful gaze, making her feel uncomfortable —nothing fazed her. She'd noticed everything.

She glanced at Abhimanyu and smiled softly. For a man who was a womanizer, a playboy, with women falling at his feet, a part of her was happy, elated even at how protective he was of her. He didn't want her talking to Parth or asking questions about him, and now she understood why. He was protecting her from that pervert.

"Come, let me introduce you to the interns." Abhimanyu offered, dragging Akshara forward.

"What about the board members? Shouldn't we meet them first?"

"No, we don't want to look too desperate for their validation. Everything needs to happen organically."

"Okay. I trust you." Akshara mentioned casually following behind Abhimanyu.