Chapter 1: The Prince

It was a beautiful night. Many stars out, a full moon, a half moon and a quarter moon shined in the night. It was quiet, calm and warm. Soon the young prince would land at the park with his father. He was only one year old, but due to his growing condition he was twice as tall as the other dragonets his age. The prince didn't mind, because he knew his parents loved him more than anything.

"Father.?" Shadow asked quietly as he walked beside his parents. His father had shrunken himself to be a normally sized dragon to make things easier. He followed his father to a fountain, seeing him sit down by it. He followed suit. "When will sister hatch?" He glanced at him.

"Just a few more months son. Be patient, but also be excited too." Darkstalker smiled at him before reaching into a back on his neck, then he took out a coin and handed it to his son. "Ever make a wish in the fountain? You think of what you want, then toss the coin in. It's fun." He smiled lightly as he watched his son take it. "Try it."

"Oh, alright father." Shadow said and examined the beautiful silver coin. He closed his eyes to help his thinking process. Now the prince was ready. 'I wish for my family to be safe and happy all the time' he thought to himself. He stop to didn't think if his father was reading his mind. Then he tossed the coin in. The water rippled and splashed as the coin fell in and sank to the bottom. He let out a happy chuckle as he stood and watched, his tail wagging slowly behind him. "Wow, that's cool. Do the wishes come true?" He asked.

"Yes, if you truly believe in them. They will." Darkstalker smiled and put his wing around his son. "Just don't tell anyone or it won't." He added at the end. Now looking over, he saw a group of Nightwings approaching. With a smile he greeted them and he watched them bow. "Evening." He said.

"Your majesty." One bowed his head. "How are you mate? Taking the young lad out for a stroll?" He spoke in a gritty, deep and heavy British accent  male walked over to the prince. He had red eyes, hints of maroon in his scales and several scars up and down his body. On his back was a large wooden crossbow. The string was drawn back with a botlt in it. The weapon was attached to a harness that covered the Nightwing's chest and stomach. As well as circling his shoulders. There was a special patch on his harness that showed a high general rank. The prince had seen this dragon before, but with a black hooded cloak on. He wondered why the Nightwing wasn't wearing it right now, but he didn't seem to care too much.

"Yes indeed Nighthawk, you on a patrol? Everything has been quiet lately, rather clam and happy. Just how I pictured the kingdom being. This is how it should be, and I'm going to keep it this way." Darkstalker spoke confidently. "Shadow is doing well, incredibly smart and he has great communication skills." He said proudly before ruffling the large prince's head gently. "I love you son."

Shadow let out a little chirp with a chuckle. He then hugged Darkstalker. He didn't understand why he was so big just yet, but he was always happy about it, not caring much. "Hi nighthawk! You find any bad guys? I hope so, kick their butts." He giggled a little.

"Hah, will do lad. You take care alright?" Nighthawk pat his shoulder before handing him a candy. He then walked off as he hummed a tune quietly. Darkstalker turned to his son, then they began to walk down a path. Eventually they arrived at the school where all Nightwing dragonets in the kingdom learned. He sat and gestured his son to do the same.

"Son, this is where you will go to school. Starting next week. You are old enough. But I want you to be careful, the kids your age won't be your size, as you have seen. I'm.. excited and a little scared for you but I think you can handle it. You're smart, and you have magic. If.. you need to, use it. The kingdom knows anyway, so there's no need to hide it. You should be proud to be so powerful and strong. Especially at your age." He pat his shoulder gently.

"What if I hurt someone.?" Shadow asked, nervously tapping his claws. "You said Animus magic is dangerous sometimes.. and it can be used to hurt others. Or what if I crush someone, or.."

"Shh, you won't hurt anyone." Darkstalker said, giving him a gentle hug with his wing. He then looked up at the school as dragons flew in an out. It was tall, grand, and beautifully constructed. "I went here, and I fixed it up. For you, for our tribe. We are going to be powerful again, and you are going to do great things for this tribe."

"I want to help you father!" Shadow said with excitement. He looked at the school. "Is the professor happy? He must be." He wagged his tail some more, then he sat and daydreamed for a while.

"Yes.. he is. We all are. You will make me proud. I know it. Now let's get you home and get you more magic lessons."