Chapter 5: The Project

Shadow paused a little. Viper was a terrible dragon, from what he'd heard and read. Nighthawk mentioned him many times before, but Shadow didn't expect him to ask for help with the sandwing. The prince just stared at his friend, confused and a little concerned.

"Viper? Him. You want me to help with him?" Shadow asked with a wince. "Isn't he super dangerous?"

"Incredibly." Nighthawk said.

"So why would you ask me to help? I'm not that skilled with fighting, and I don't use my magic a lot-" Shadow mumbled. It was true, for he was definitely more of a thinker. He could handle himself in a fight, but not with an experienced gang leader.

"Shadow, I know it's a lot to ask, but I need to take him out. And I want you to help, as well as your father. It won't be right away either, and I'm going to recruit a few others."

"I don't know-" Shadow sighed. "Viper- I mean it just seems like a bad idea if I went. I might ruin your chances at defeating him."

"Aye, just put some thought into it. You're pretty rugged, you could hold your own against him." Nighthawk said. "I mean seriously, I don't think I've met a dragon with a frame like yours before."

"Uh, thanks?" Shadow huffed, thinking his compliment was a little odd. He looked at his body, and Nighthawk was right. Shadow's frame was large and bulky, even for a giant.

"Of course. And if you did help, it would make everyone's lives safer, I wager."

"I suppose yeah, less evil in the world. If only there were a spell for that, heh." Shadow smiled and sighed. "Okay fine, I'll put some thought into it, but I have my school project in the works right now, and I need to go help my friends with it sooo I'm gonna get going."

"Right then, take care! I'll send word for you when I start the cabin. I'll tell Sulu you said hello."

"Of course! Wait- one more thing. Can you sign uh.." Shadow took a second to dig around in his neck pouch for something to write on. "Ah, this. My friends Starhunter and Sharpclaws want your autograph." He took out the scroll. Nighthawk chuckled.

"Hah, of course. Anything else you need?" Nighthawk asked. The Nightwings dipped his claw in black ink and wrote his name on the bottom, then he did the same with Sharp's. "Here ya go."

"Thanks, and I'm all set. That's all I needed. Cya!" Shadow smiled. He then turned to walk out, now heading to his workshop. He hummed a tune to himself as he walked through the hallway, wondering if his friends had gotten started. His workshop was a clean, roomy area with many different tools and equipment for him to use. A special enchantment on the room was placed to shrink him down to a normal size to make working easier. Three voices could be heard inside, so that was a good sign. Shadow opened the door and made his way to them.

"There he is! What did Nighthawk want? And did you get my autograph?" Starhunter asked.

"And mine!?" Sharp jumped in front of him. Shadow smiled and set the two scrolls down. The two males raced each other for the scrolls, practically stepping over one another to try and get one first.

"Yes, yes. Here." Shadow huffed and smiled. It was strange being normally sized, since he wasn't used to it at all. He walked to his friends and sat down. "Any progress?"

"I think so, I got a rough draft of the scaling tool. I think this will work well." Sharp said while admiring his autograph. "Wooaaaah. Thank you Shadow!" The prince sat beside them and started to examine the scroll Sharp had sketched the design on. He rubbed his chin slowly before nodding.

"This looks great! I can't wait to use it." Shadow said as he looked down at him. "Nice work."

"Thanks!" Sharp pawed at his talon. "So weird seeing you small. I like big Shadow!"

"So do I." Mindwatcher said with a small grin. Shadow glanced at her with a small huff. He couldn't tell but his face had gotten slightly red at her comment.

"Oh-"

"Haha, you're so cute." She said as she pat his shoulder. "I think we all like you how you are, you don't need to be small for us."

"Yeah.." Shadow smiled softly before hugging the three with his wings. "But it's convenient when I'm in here. And it makes me feel weird, like this isn't normal, you know?"

"I can understand that. You live your whole life being enormous and suddenly you walk into a room, and bam! Small. Haha. But let's get started. I gathered the materials for the scaling tool while sharp drafted it out." Starhunter said. The Nightwing set a box of supplies down, which was full of wood, metal scraps and screws.

"Perfect. That should work well. Let me see those pieces." Shadow said as he picked up the box, looking through the parts. "Nice nice. I'll put this together." Now he made his way to a table before carefully emptying the box out. He began to separate the pieces individually before looking at the scroll. Building this was a specialty of his. He knew how to put all sorts of things together, and he loved doing it. His talons carefully began to sort through the pieces, assembling the tool precisely.

"Look at him work!" Starhunter chuckled. "Shadow do you want a water?"

"Oh, yes please." Shadow said as he continued to slot and screw the parts together. It wasn't a very complicated tool. One side had a slider and a ruler to measure the dimensions of objects on their map. The other was a gauge to compare the dimensions of the object in full scale. It was quite the clever little contraption. With one final click, the tool was complete. With this, they were certain to win.