Chapter 45: Shadowstalker

Shadow, Moonglow and Starshifter walked into the palace. Almost immediately he was greeted by his siblings. They looked both sad and happy, but mostly happy. He wrapped an arm around each of them, and they hugged for a long quiet while.

"So glad you two are safe.." Shadow rumbled followed by a small sigh. "He didn't hurt you did he?"

"No,.but he yelled a lot." Comet frowned and glanced up at him. He could tell they were in a fair bit of pain based on the looks they gave him. That feeling of guilt settles in again, and he set them down.

"At least one big brother saved the world.." Void mumbled and glanced up at Shadow, smiling a tiny bit. "I'm gonna miss dad though.."

"All of us are, a little bit.. but- that's how royal challenges work unfortunately.." Shadow sighed and shook his head. "Now then.. why don't you two go find uncle Preychaser and ask him about making a nice dinner for everyone. I've got a few things to do. Anyone seen my friend Sharpclaws?"

"I think he was arrested too. Father wasn't happy with how angry he was over everything so he had him locked up."

"Oh- no.. okay. I was heading there anyway." Shadow said as he got up. "I got some.. unfortunate news to tell him.." His wings dropped a little bit.

"What?" Void perked.

"Starhunter's dead.. he was killed in a battle.. I uh.. it's- it's still hard.." Shadow mumbled sadly, and he started to head down to the dungeons. He wasn't wanting to continue the conversation. A guard unlocked the door and he went down towards it, thinking to himself.

'Here goes..' He thought. After a bit of walking, he spotted her. Mindwatcher pay in her cell with a look of perpetual rage sprawled across her face. He could tell she wasn't happy with the situation, but it was well deserved. Starshifter appeared beside him, gently rubbing his talon.

"I take it that's the dragon who called you a fat oversized lizard?" She asked with a small hiss. "Because if she is, I'd love a word with her.."

"Yep." Shadow lowered his head to Mindwatcher's level and glared at her. "Cozy.?"

"What do you think?" Mindwatcher growled. A muzzle had been placed over her snout, presumably to keep her from biting or shooting fire. "I'm in here because of you." She glared at him a bit.

"Do not speak to him that way!" Starshifter started. "He's just been through hell. He doesn't deserve such treatment from scum."

"And who are you to talk to me that way? I'm a Nightwing, I'm better than you! You're just some filthy lowlife hybrid. You're from a gang, right?"

"Shadow can you open the cell?" She asked calmly, a little smoke rose from her snout. Shadow was surprised to see how aggressive Starshifter was, but he didn't mind. With a nod, he opened the cell and Starshifter proceeded inside. The hybrid cracked her claws a bit.

"Wait- at least unchain me first! Give me a fair chance!" Mindwatcher said with a squeak, and before she could react Starshifter was already lunging towards her. Shadow sat up and watched as the two started clawing and punching at one another. Thankfully to the spell he did on Starshifter, she was completely unharmed.

The fight lasted about a minute, and Mindwatcher lay in the back corner with several teeth missing and many, many claw marks. Starshifter walked out, wiping her claws off with a cloth she kept on her. She glanced up at the king and crossed her arms. "Shadow, I know about the spell."

"What-? Oh.. look- It wasn't-" Shadow mumbled and started, but she shushed him and pat his nose.

"It's fine. I thought it was very sweet, but I can handle myself." Starshifter grinned before glancing at Mindwatcher. "Her, not so much. Are we executing her? Or?"

"No, that's unnecessary. I'd rather she remains down here, for a very, very long time." Shadow shrugged and glanced up at her with a small sigh. "Let's get Sharp and head back out." He turned and began to walk further down. Once he saw Sharpclaws he smiled soflty. "Sharp..?"

"Shadow..?" The much smaller Nightwing perked up and rushed to the bars. "Shadow! You're alive!"

"Of course. Someone had to inherit the kingdom, yeah?" Shadow let out a small laugh before using a key to open the cell. "Darkstalker is dead by the way.. he won't be bothering us anymore."

"Really? You beat him? Holy moons.."

"I did. But.. I uh, we lost Starhunter.." Shadow didn't want to tell him, but he had to know. He saw his friend's eyes water, but the smaller Nightwing nodded and walked up to him.

"What..?"

"He was killed in battle. I- I wasn't able to save him.. I tried-" Shadow winced and held back a sob before sitting up slowly. "But.. his death was not in vain." His wings drooped a little, and they both hugged each other close for a few seconds. After a while he let go and stood up. "Let's get you out of here. I've got a few things to take care of." He said calmly. Sharp nodded and slowly climbed up onto his back. The three left the dungeons, and Shadow made his way to the royal hall.

Once he arrived, the council was waiting for him in front of the throne, along with his mother. Sharpclaws went and sat off to the side with a guard, and Shadow went to his throne, tilting his head a little. Darkstalker's was already removed, and his was put in place.

"Your majesty, your crown." One of the council members said politely with a bow. The others bowed as well, and a crown was brought to him. This one was made of gold, thin with emeralds and diamonds embedded the metal. He reached down and slid it over his head. Two spirals looped around his horns to keep it in place.

"Fits nicely." Shadow said calmly before sitting up in his throne. "Next I need one made for Starshifter, as well as a throne of her own." He smiled down at her, scooting aside just enough for her to join him. "But for now this is will have to do."

"Who might she be?"

"She'll be your new queen. Once we get married." Shadow rumbled towards Starshifter before reaching down and kissing the top of her head. He received a small pat on the snout in return. They smiled at each other. "Speaking of which.. I need to get us a pair of rings, there's a lot we need to do. But we'll do it together."

"That's right. I love you Shadow, thank you for this opportunity.."

"Thank you for helping me. We're going to fix this kingdom.."

"Of course." She held his talon tightly. "Now then.."

"Yes." Shadow said calmly. "I'll discuss your positions at the next meeting, I know who'll be replacing who. All decisions are final. But for now, let's celebrate!" He boomed. It was time for a new era of the Nightwings. Shadowstalker was going to lead them into the best possible future, this time with no war or violence. Pyrrhia was saved, and so was his tribe.