Chapter 27: The Letter

A month had passed. Shadow, Nighthawk, and Viper had been working together to make a plan together. Everything was going well, perfect even. That was until he got a letter from Mindwatcher. Somehow, someway she'd managed to find him and deliver a message. His heart nearly skipped a beat when he heard about it.

"What-!?" Shadow gasped at the servant. He yanked the letter from her claws and quickly read over it. Then he sighed deeply with his wings drooping. "Oh.."

Dear Shadowstalker, or should I say TRAITOR!?
How dare you abandon me, on my HATCHING DAY!? All because you didn't want to help your father. All you had to do was agree with him, but no. You had to ruin it, and now you've ruined our love. How dare you leave me like this, not a single message or even a sign that you want to come back. So have fun wherever you are! And no, I didn't tell the king where this was going, because he already knows. Enjoy being lonely, you oversized, fat spoiled lizard. See you never,
                                            ~Mindwatcher

Shadow's ears flopped down as he set the letter on the desk. His eyes watered a bit, now just staring at the paper in front of him. "But-" He mumbled to himself. Starhunter walked up to him and read through the letter before gasping. The guard crumpled it up and threw it aside.

"Wow- what a bitch.." Starhunter said calmly, trying to maintain his composure as he always did. The smaller Nightwing then tugged on his larger friend's talon. "Shadow.? Buddy..?" The prince didn't answer. Tears ran down his face slowly as he sat there, spaced out, hurt and terrified all at once. Not only had she essentially ended things with him, but his father knew of his location. Shadow felt something wrap around his arm. He looked down and saw Starhunter hugging onto it, trying to comfort him. The prince put a talon over his back as he looked at the desk.

"They found us..." Shadow muttered. He didn't care about Mindwatcher anymore. Starhunter and Sulu were right, she was bad. On top of that, they were doomed. Darkstalker could appear at any moment with his army and slaughter them all in seconds. The prince wiped his eyes before standing and sliding his friend off his arm. "I need to find Viper.."

"Of course. Let's go." Shadow grabbed the letter, then he and Starhunter ran down the hall towards Viper's office. Once they'd arrived he opened the door up and walked in. The old sandwing was startled and nearly fell out of his chair, jumping slightly at the sudden visit.

"What- moons! Learn to knock!" Viper scoffed a little. An incense burner was on the desk, lit and filling the room with a cinnamon scent. Shadow rubbed his eyes before sitting in front of the desk, glancing down at Viper. Four guards entered the room and blocked off the door, and Shadow could only guess this was because of the ruckus he and his friend made. "Well?"

"My father- Darkstalker.. knows where we are- I got a letter from someone in the kingdom-" The prince said sadly. "I don't know how he found us- I was hidden with a spell.." He sighed and handed Viper the letter, who uncrumpled and read it.

"Well then. Aren't females just terrible?" Viper grumbled as he set the letter back down with a small huff. "It's not your fault." He shrugged a bit with a small growl. "Reminds me about the mother of my sons. She learned Basilisk was to be huge, based on his egg so she abandoned us. But we didn't need her. And you don't need what's her face. Now.. your father."

"What about him.? What'll we do? He's going to come for us." Shadow said quietly with a huff as he looked down at Viper. The old sandwing tapped his desk for several seconds as he pondered.

"We have several options. Hold out here, or head to our backup camp. Because of his magic, he would easily.be able to find us. I say we stay here. Should we get attacked, that would attract the sandwing military." That was true, for the sandwings were one of the most formidable forces on the continent. Shadow knew that Darkstalker would know better than to attack them.

"I guess so- they'd help you?" Shadow asked with a head tilt.

"Weeeellll not necessarily me, but their kingdom. Thorn cares about the scorpion den, which I have taken very good care of by the way! Better than Vulture did at least." He huffed.

"That makes sense.." Starhunter said with a nod. "Okay, so we hold out here then? Do you have any idea how or when they might arrive?"

"Excellent question! That all depends on how well my scouts are doing." Viper shrugged. "Now, I must get my dragons ready. You two oughta relax and find some way to help out. I'll get everything in order." He said with a smile.

"Of course.. thank you, and sorry to bother you."

"Oh no, you're fine! It was bound to happen eventually. Certainly better for you let me know than to be unprepared for a surprise attack." Viper smiled, gesturing them out. "Now take care, I've work to do." He shooed them out of the room, and so they went. Shadow and Starhunter walked down the hallway, heading back towards their room. As he walked he heard a yelp below his feet and he jumped back, glancing around below him.

"Oh!" A female voice yelped. "Watch it!" She growled and backed up, lashing her tail. To Shadow's surprise there was no barb at the end. It was a female hybrid of sand and night. Her eyes were red, her scales a lighter pink and sandy color. Her body was mostly lean with a slight plumpness to her limbs. The scales on her back had the occasional shiny spot, each looking like a tiny, beautiful star. She just stared up at him, seemingly intimidated by his size.

"Sorry-" Shadow rumbled nervously as he pulled his wings back a bit. "My bad-" He muttered.

"It's fine..moons you're a big one. You must be the prince." The female brushed herself off and stood, walking up to the giant who'd pressed himself against the wall to stay out of the way.

"Y-yep- that's me.." Shadow sighed deeply. "Are you hurt..? Did I crush anything.?" He asked as his tail tip lashed a tiny bit. She shook her head and flexed his claws slightly. "Hm- my name's Shadowstalker, you don't have to refer to me as the prince or your majesty.. I don't like it, not anymore."

"I understand, it's alright." She smiled a bit. "It's nice to meet you, my name is Starshifter."