Chapter 23: Viper

Shadow stared at the old sandwing, his jaw dropped slightly while Viper just smiled humbly. He didn't seem aggressive or violent, but the prince was uneasy because Viper knew exactly who he was. Starhunter stayed in a bowing position beside him. Viper then stood up and walked down to them.

"You can stop bowing, young prince." Viper said kindly before sitting in front of them. "What brings you to the scorpion den? And answer honestly, because I don't appreciate it when dragons lie to my face. They tend to get stabbed." Shadow winced. Such a comment was either an attempt at dry humor, or it was a threat. He paused and stayed quiet momentarily until he thought of an answer.

"Just searching for a friend. That's all."

"Friends are quite nice. Who might this friend be? I could help you find them." Viper offered. Now it was an issue. Shadow knew he couldn't just tell him about Nighthawk due to his past with Viper. He paused and tensed up, unsure of whether to tell him. Viper's tail lashed and he grumbled. "Come on now, spot it out."

"I- I don't need help finding him, I can get there on my own. I was going to until your uh.. soldier? Commander?"

"Son." Viper said simply. "Cactus is my son." He turned and gestured to the sandwing who had taken his helmet off and was watching them closely.

"Ah. Yes your son. I was on my way to meet my friend until your son brought me here. I know where he is, but thank you for offering assistance." Shadow said with a smile, hoping that was enough for Viper.

"Hm. Very well then. You two must be starving! Perhaps we should have a feast, and you can tell me all about yourself, young prince." Viper clasped his talons together. "Shall we then?" Something nudged his back and he turned, seeing Basilisk had his talon on him. Shadow sighed and nodded.

"Of course.." He mumbled and walked towards the feasting hall with Viper. Starhunter looked up at him with a small frown.

"How long are you two going to be in the scorpion den?" Viper asked. "Because I was going to let you two stay as long as you need."

"Really? Why?" Shadow asked. Surely there was a catch to that, considering the offer came from Viper of all dragons.

"Hospitality is important." Viper smiled. The old sandwing opened the door to the feasting hall before heading inside. Shadow looked outside through the windows, seeing the sun was starting to set. Behind him he heard a grunt from Basilisk, which was a signal to keep moving.

"Sit here." Viper gestured to a large rug on the floor. Shadow did so, and Starhunter sat beside him. "The chefs are preparing dinner. Now, tell me what you're doing out in the desert. It seems unusual for a Nightwing to be here, let alone the prince."

"Shadow.." Starhunter gestured his head down to him and the prince did so. "I don't know if we should.." He whispered to him.

"I know.. but what choice do we have?" Shadow whispered back. The spikes on his back and neck went up slightly before he turned to Viper. "I-"

"You two are on the run." Viper said calmly, interrupting him before he got a moment to say anything. "Your father tried to arrest you, kill your friend. You left your girlfriend alone in the palace with him." Completely caught of guard, Shadowstalker just sat there with his jaw dropped slightly.

"..How do you know this?"

"I have spies, young prince." Viper said humbly. "It would be unwise not to, with your father, and the other queens. It's good to be informed about everything, don't you agree?"

"I guess.. my father has spies too." Shadow mumbled and thought to himself for a bit. "He.. he was going crazy. He tried to kill my friend. His general hired an assasin to kill a council member, probably his orders. Then he lied to me about it."

"Your father is doing anything he needs to complete his goal. And as any ruler does, they crush anyone who tries to stop them."

"But.. why order such a thing? He's supposed to love his tribe, he said he would never hurt us." Shadow felt like he was lied to now. His wings drooped and tucked close. "How could he do this?"

"Because he is power hungry and evil."

"Aren't.. you the same way?" Shadow asked with a head tilt. Viper laughed and shrugged.

"That all depends on what you think that means. I'm in control of the scorpion den. Now tell me this, how many starving, injured dragons did you see about?" That was a good question, because Shadow only seen two impoverished dragons.

"Two.."

"That's because under my 'Rule' as you would put it, I gave everyone access to clean water, food, and protection. So long as they contribute to me. Similar to Thorn, but I can be less forgiving. However.." Viper paused. "Unlike your father, I'm not trying to expand beyond my reach. I have everything I want right here." He sat up.

"So.. you're not evil and violent?"

"Not as much as I was during the war. I still need to bare my fangs a little here and there, but I try to keep everything calm and orderly. Ask any of the dragons around, they'll tell you how good it is."

"Hm.. but that's not at all what I heard from someone.." Shadow said with a small huff. "I'm sure you know who.."

"Nighthawk.." Viper grumbled with a lash to his tail. "He is problematic. Always causing trouble for me, destroying supply centers, killing my soldiers. For what? His own enjoyment?"

"I'm talking about you killing his family and turning him into a dragon." Shadow huffed and looked at him, crossing his arms. "And you ruined his life here."

"Oh don't start. He and his family were nothing but food. He's always been causing issues for me. Highly intelligent and skillful but driven by vengeance and revenge." Viper said calmly. Shadow was surprised to hear this, but he didn't want to comment on it. He nodded softly and stretched.

"Now I have a question for you." Shadow sat up slowly and confidently.

"Go ahead."

"Why did you bring us here?" He asked. Viper smiled a bit, and it wasn't as sly as the prince would've expected yet more sincere. Viper then opened his mouth to speak

"I want to help you defeat your father."