Chapter 11: Hatching Day

Several weeks of happiness passed with Mindwatcher. It was now the prince's seventh hatching day, and he was finally an adult. Shadowstalker was excited and happy. Everything was going well with him and Mindwatcher, Nighthawk's cabin was finished and he'd graduated from school with his friends. Life was perfect.

"Hm.." Shadow hummed to himself. He climbed out of the palace hot springs, which were an enchantment by his father. They functioned as a bath but with bubbles and more heat. It was quite cozy and relaxing. The prince dried off and walked out to see what his family was up to. He spotted his uncle rushing to the kitchen. "Oh, hey Preychaser!"

"Ah- Shadow! I'd love to talk but I'm quite busy- uh-" The plump hybrid had something wrapped in cloth under his wing.

"No worries, just wanted to say hello." Shadow smiled and began to head towards palace lounge where his friends were. Many servants were out and about with more work than usual today. He also noticed an increase of guards. Both of these events happened each time one of the royal family's members had a hatching day. The prince made sure to thank every servant he came across to let them know he appreciated their hard work.

"There he is." Starhunter said. "Our favorite prince!"

"Haha, thanks. But to be fair, there's only two princes." Shadow grinned. "Unless you count my uncle. He doesn't like to be called that for some reason." He shrugged and led beside them. Starhunter shrugged and Mindwatcher hugged his arm.

"How is my big handsome prince today?" She hummed and rest her head against his cheek.

"I'm good today, glad you guys are here. Can't believe I'm an adult."

"I still turned older before ya." Starhunter grinned. "And after you I think it's.. Sharp?"

"Yeah!" Sharp huffed. "But let's worry about him today. We brought gifts! Do you want them now or later at the ceremony?"

"Haha, I'll take them now so we can enjoy the moment together." Shadow smiled. Each of them set down a wooded box. He carefully opened the first one to reveal a painting of the four of them. His ears perked up while he inspected it. "Oh wow- Thank you Sharp." He smiled. "This is beautiful!" The painting had Shadowstalker in the back with his friends around him.  Mindwatcher sat to his right, Starhunter to his left and Sharp on his head. Shadow found it to be adorable.

"I can't wait to frame this." Shadow smiled before hugging him close, making the smaller Nightwing squeak with joy and surprise.

"I knew you'd love it!" Sharp's voice was a little muffled due to being buried in a heap of hug. Shadow let him go after a few seconds so he could open another gift. This one was from Mindwatcher. He carefully opened the box and examined the item inside. She had given him a gold bracelet studded with emeralds. It wouldn't fit around his wrist, but it made for a perfect ring. He slid it over a claw and examined it.

"Emeralds..haha.. you really know me." Shadow smiled and hummed a little. "You're so sweet.." He lowered his head down before kissing her. Mindwatcher returned the kiss and pat his snout a little.

"Of course I do." She rubbed his snout a little. "That ring looks fantastic on you."

"Haha..it really does." Shadow smiled and took a moment to admire it. "Thank you.." Now all that was left was Starhunter's gift. He felt Mindwatcher lean against his side as he opened the final box. His best friend had given him a peculiar map covered in stars, as well as a special compass. "What's this?" He asked, intrigued as he unfolded the map.

"That is a starmap. I studied the stars for weeks, and made them into a little map with all the constellations and named stars. The compass works with the map to show you where you're going." Starhunter smiled. "Try it." The prince nodded and examined the map closely while holding the compass. An arrow pointed north in the middle, and there were eight stars with names beneath them around the edge. After five seconds the star to the north turned to matched up with the arrow, allowing him to see what direction he was going.

"Well then, that's interesting. And very useful. I can't wait to figure this out more." Shadow smiled. "Thank you guys, these are all great." He set everything down carefully so he could hug them. They accepted it. "I love you guys.."

"Haha, you're such a softie. I love it." Starhunter teased.

"It's always the big ones too." Sharp added.

"Happy hatching day Shadow." Mindwatcher snickered. He felt her kids his cheek and his face reddened a little bit.

"Hehe.. do you guys wanna have dinner with my family and I? I'd love it if you joined." Shadow smiled. The three nodded and agreed. "Good, Because it should be ready any minute. Let's go." He smiled and stood up and packed up the map and painting carefully. The four then proceeded to the dining hall. Shadow sat on his throne next to his father while his friends were further down the long wooden table.

"Hello Son. Having a good day so far?" Darkstalker smiled.

"Of course father." Shadow smiled. It was no surprise that the dining hall had been decorated as much as it was. Green curtains on the windows, a beautiful green and gold colored tablecloth and extra lanterns had been added to the room. Shadow loved the color green, and this was perfect. "It looks great in here."

"Only the best for my children." Darkstalker smiled. "Happy hatching day. You're an adult now, I can't believe it.." He sighed. "But I am proud nonetheless." The king ruffled his son's head gently. "Congratulations son."

"Thank you father." Shadow smiled before hugging his arm. Preychaser came in with several chefs, bringing out many plates of various foods for everyone. The prince sat up and looked at everything, and he could feel his mouth watering slightly. "Ooh, you really went all out."

"I always do for you kids! Especially on your hatching days." Preychaser sat beside his sister, Moonglow. Shadow always admired their sibling bond. It was beautiful, just as the one he and his siblings had. Comet walked up to him, as well as Void.

"Happy hatching day brother. I can't wait for you to open our gift. We worked together on it."

"That's right! You're gonna love it." Void said. "Because it's really cool, and super well made."

"I'll love anything you two make for me." Shadow lowered himself down and hugged the two. After which, he sat up. Darkstalker nudged his side with his wing. The prince looked up and paused before tilting his head. Suddenly Darkstalker gestured to everyone in the room. It had finally occured to him that he was supposed to give a speech.

"Oh- right." Shadow cleared his throat and took a deep breath. "Thank you all for coming, tonight is going to be fantastic. Let's all enjoy ourselves, have some delicious food, some drinks, and enjoy the music! It's a party, after all! And I'm certainly looking forward to joining the council. Now let's eat!" He boomed. It had been a perfect day, and Shadow was happy.