Chapter 15: The Garden

Two hours passed and the sun was rising slowly. Nighthawk had gotten patched up and two guards were given to Brighteyes. It was worrying to think someone was after her, considering how kind she was to everyone. Perhaps she was hiding something, or someone wanted her dead. Either way, Shadow knew he had to keep his eyes peeled and stay on high alert. A door creaked open behind him. It was Sulu.

"Shadow, where is Nighthawk? And how is he?" She asked. The seawing looked a little angry because of what happened. A messenger sat beside her, who Shadow dismissed and sent on his way.

"He's fine, just a small wound to the stomach. I'll take you to him." Shadow replied before proceeding out his bedroom. Mindwatcher had gone home, which worried him. He'd figured he'd taken too long and she got upset. His wings drooped a little as he walked.

"Where's your girlfriend?" Sulu walked a little faster to match his pace beside him.

"She went home I guess.." Shadow mumbled. "I think she's mad at me because I went with Nighthawk, and then the spear happened- I told her I would be back shortly but.. that didn't happen. So I figure she got mad and left.." He sighed, feeling as though it were his fault. Sulu quickly walked in front of him, making him come to a stop before he trampled over her.

"I'm warning you..she might not be right for you, Shadow. It's probably better if you two stay friends. I've watched her, and she's not exactly the most loyal dragon." Sulu seemed confident, and he knew she was smart when it came to things like this, however he didn't want to give up. He knew they could be happy.

"But we're fine! And it was my fault- I shouldn't have left.."

"No. You had urgent matters, and if she can't respect that, then she's not a good partner. I know you care about her a lot, and that's wonderful. But you need to be careful."

"I guess?" Shadow mumbled. "But-"

"No buts. It's not gonna end well." Sulu said with a huff. "I don't want to see you hurt, you're a good dragon and a wonderful friend."

"Hm.." Shadow rubbed the back of his neck with a small wince. There was hope. He just had to apologize to Mindwatcher after they were done with Nighthawk. The price lifted his head and walked past Sulu, just staying quiet for now.

"That fool.. always jumping into any sort of trouble he can find." Sulu sighed. "But I love him, he saved my brother's life, many times. He's just so handsome.." She said dreamily. Shadow rolled his eyes with a small smile before batting her carefully with his wing.

"If you say so." The giant huffed slightly. Up ahead were the healers. "He's in there, probably cursing the healers and guards, or drinking whatever alcohol he can find. Might wanna go stop him." Shadow chuckled.

"Right, thank you!" Sulu pat his shoulder and ran towards the healers with Nighthawk. "You big fool!" She yelled, followed by his laughter. Shadow shook his head with a small smile before walking out and heading back to his room. On the way there he saw his mother.

"Oh, hello mother.." Shadow said tiredly. Drowsiness was starting to set in, but he shook the feeling.

"Son, how is your evening?" Moonglow smiled up at him. The prince lowered his head before receiving a hug on the snout. He closed his eyes and relaxed a bit.

"It's fine.. just wondering where my psrtner is." Shadow mumbled and relaxed some more as he leaned into his mother's warmth.

"Last time I saw her, she was in the garden, which was a few minutes ago." She looked a little upset and frustrated. Maybe you should go talk to her. I can tell she wants you." She teased and lifted his head up.

"Alright.. thank you mother.." Shadow smiled and settled a bit. Moonglow nodded and released him.

"Go to her, son." She smiled and pat his nose. The prince nodded and proceeded to the garden. He made a quick stop to grab some chocolates for her, and when he got to the garden he picked a dozen red roses for her. After a bit of walking, he spotted her alone by the fountain. His footsteps alerted her.

"There you are." She huffed and turned to him. "Where have you been?"

Shadow paused and flinched slightly. He sighed and walked over, sitting in front of her and dropping the roses from his jaws. "Nighthawk got hurt, hit with a spear. I had to help him.. I'm sorry.." He mumbled, lowering his head to her level. They stared into each other's eyes for a few seconds, and Mindwatcher examined the roses and chocolates. She sighed and hugged his nose.

"Fine.. it's fine. It's just been a few hours.." She sighed softly, rubbing a talon down his snout slowly. "Just don't do it again, okay?" She asked, giving him a slightly demanding look. Reluctantly, he nodded and leaned into her.

"Of course love.." Shadow mumbled. "it won't happen again.." The prince looked up at her, getting a kiss on the cheek.

"Good, good..thank you for the flowers. These are just beautiful." Mindwatcher commented and examined a rose. "Hm.. so beautiful.." She hummed and rubbed his nose slowly, causing the large dragon to let out a low happy rumble. Shadow relaxed more as he moved his head so it was between her arm and chest.

"Are you mad at me..?"

"No." Mindwatcher said with a sigh, hugging his head to her chest. The prince led himself against her stomach, closing his eyes again. "I'm disappointed. You lied."

"I..I'm sorry- like I said.. won't happen again-" Shadow mumbled, a slight hint of worry in his voice. Her talon stroked along his muzzle and he settled down more. Maybe Sulu was right. Perhaps this wouldn't be the relationship he wanted.